General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:57 PM
roadkillracer is on a distinguished road

G'day, I was able to score a set of 2001 take off rims with good tires to put on my 1994 Jimmy. We are currently using it as a storage shed and were getting annoyed at all four tires leaking down. $20 for a set of four wasn't bad.

Now for the 1984 K5 Blazer, I have finished putting the 14 bolt together with a Detroit Locker and single piston disc brakes. I was able to get a set of the JB8 code calipers with the bigger piston which should balance the fronts with less need of proportioning. It is ready to weld the truss on to it and paint it. The truss ties into the rear cover and since I am using a ring guard some fabrication will be necessary for the mount.

The 205 transfer case is done and ready for installation but the 4L80E has not been touched yet. I will need to get a Novak adaptor shaft to get it to bolt up but I have an NOS adaptor housing to bolt to the transfer case.

I have almost everything ready to start on the Dana 60 front except a center unit of some sort. I have a power lock but am leading more towards something I can control like an ARB or an Ox Locker. I have inner and out 4340 axle shafts and we finished assembling those today. We used Yukon universal joints for them. Next weekend I will tackle the king pins and get the housing ready for paint and final assembly.

Only problem is our shop is 82 miles one way and with my health issues everything turns into an all day job. I really would have rather finished them before the stroke and the loss of mobility. But, life goes on.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:32 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

I will update for the week.

Had to wave the white flag on the rear springs. Couldn't get the ZR2 flares off and running out of time before Moab. Gave to a shop. Love the fact the truck is level now. Gained about 2 inches in the back.

While was being done found the source of the gas smell after a fill up. I guess having a purge valve, purge line and the EVAP canister full of dirt is unhelpful. No code...strange.

The HVAC blower would connect to new plug because is was opposite polarity and rotation. The blower was stiff when turning by hand so it was dying.

Found the crank position sensor bolt was loose. Found the nut insert was pulled out. Tapped for larger bolt. Much less oil leaking now.

Replaced the tow hooks with hitch receivers so I can add D ring shackle inserts. Had to change the front skid plate bits for shorter ones. Now waiting on the inserts.

Tested my new 12v air compressor. Was able to reinflate my 31s from 10 psig to 32 psig in about 13 1/2 minutes

Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by int3414
now i got abs light,who cares,,,but it dont shift right,,,,read up on it,,,BUT how the heck is abs related TO something with the tranny????????????????
It can't, but wiring problems can. Start looking the harness in areas of heat and vibration, and check any connectors. Tug on wires going into any connectors to make sure they're not corroded in half. Also check under the hood where rodents love to nest - they'll chew through wires and short them all together.

I'm betting you're going to find either corrosion damage or rodent damage to the wiring somewhere along the run.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Starting Member
awesomeamerican1 is on a distinguished road

Fixed my electric fans and added a parking brake finally! Then went wheeling :P

Old 05-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Starting Member
awesomeamerican1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hess13x
Swapped from my stock wheels with 31s to 2wd wheels with 35s

What size light bar is that and where did you get the windshield brackets? Been thinking 00 silverado brackets would work

Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by awesomeamerican1
What size light bar is that and where did you get the windshield brackets? Been thinking 00 silverado brackets would work
It's a 52" light bar. I made the brackets but I think the Silverado brackets could be made to work. I would go with a 42" light bar though. The 52 is almost too wide.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

I have dropped the light bar down more and trimmed the bracket since this pic.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

I spent $173 on her on an eBay auction, on something I probably wont even used for another year! On a damn Lingenfelter converter box so I can run my LS3 on the older style computer that I want to use so I can keep a cable throttle body when I drop it into the Blazer...

awesome, I massaged Silverado brackets and made them fit with my 52" curved

Old 05-21-2019, 09:34 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this counts as getting something done but.... I pulled the rig (barely) back behind the house. I took it to the store and while turning into a parking spot it started grinding and barely moving. Once I got it back to house I noticed the 4wd switch was in 4 hi. I suspect my daughter was driving on a 70 mph freeway in 4 hi and possibly took out something. It's had a random habit of shifting into 4 hi on it's own in the past. It's going to be sitting for a while as I have neither the time nor the money to even get it looked at right now.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Goldaddict, I've accidentally shifted into 4 lo before, by just shifting from park to drive quickly. I must have hit the button with my knuckles while grabbing the column shifter. I've been careful not to do that again.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?