General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

boke SOMETHING today... could be any number of things...
* the vehicle wobbles like a jet ski on the road at 40mph +
* the steering sounds "off" when turning left, but not right...
* tripped a CEL too

took the old girl up to the "ye olde snow spot" to let my daughter sled... 8"-12" of fresh powder (would have loved a snowmobile!) but terrible for sledding...

went just a bit too far... attempted to blaze my own trail and ended up stuck behind of wall of packed snow. backed out about 500m and tried to turn around (on a logging road) getting thuroughly stuck.
my buddy was sitting there in his 2011 Tacoma and when i stepped out to ask for an assist, he was like, "I'm on ice, can't move."
useing an entrencing tool to scoop the snow, break the ice and chip down to the road we made SLOW progress doing an Austin Powers style turn around job. 1 hour later, we popped him free. he pulled me back about 8 feet and i baja'd through some crap eventually breaking through back into our ruts. <-- i believe the pulling or the rut busting is what caused my death wobble...

later, we got down to the first quarry (less desirable sledding area) and he promptly mashed into a rock the size of a full yard debris trashbag. blasted his skid plate and high centered on the lower control arm (a arm?) and frame...
since I left my hi-lift in the garage, we built a ramp out of wood scraps and hooked a tow strap around the boulder and drug it out. the blazer handled the rock "Like A Rock!" and made short work of getting it out of the way.

bruised pride, banged up rigs, and a wasted trip later, we pumped some rounds into make shift targets, tucked tail and went out to pizza.

even though my rig is acting up, and his has battle scars (temp tags still too!) the real loser was my co-piolot for the day. My daughter, miss Emma, had 0 fun in a foot an a half of powder and ice, got snow in her gloves, and was unable to sled.

Looks like I have a project for tomorrow...

as for pics... well when you are stranded at 1600 feet an out of cell range, last last thing on your mind while attempting self recovery is snapping a few pics...

i did get a few on the way in (but it's all roads and snowy trees

Old 12-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

I changed my drivers upper and lower ball joints... IFS guys have it soooo much more easier over SFA guys...

Old 12-31-2010, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran

so i took her for a spin around the block and moved the wheel erradically to cause the wobble... as close as I can tell, i have a broken swaybar link or a blown shock....

nothing visibly wrong... guess i will start by popping off the sway and trac bars and see if anything is wrong there. if not i'll pull the bolt from the bottom of each shock and see if any are "squishy"... if it's not the shocks or the bars what else could cause the sloppy cornering? a set of busted body mounts

i also put the donuts on the trailer... looks good. few touch ups and my free trailer will be road ready

Old 12-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Starting Member
wheelhead4x4 is on a distinguished road

Well not much. She sat in the driveway till I came home from work."half day". Then it was oil change time.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:40 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

my blazer is now a bravada

still have to put the bumper cover on. more to come tomorrow

Old 01-01-2011, 01:40 PM
BF Veteran

I think it loks good
Why the new dash?

also if you need to dump that D-side head light from the old set up... I know a guy that could use it...

it's me

Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Benedict.... what about them factory fogs??? eh???

Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

yep you can buy my old corners with the fogs if you're still interested, and you don't want the drivers side headlight all that was holding it together was a zip tie... but I got the new dash because its a double din. mine is only 1.5 din, now its time to get a 7" touchscreen monitor.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM
BF Veteran

AH!!! nice upgrade there then (dash)
thanks for the heads up on the light, currently my euro trash has the same going for it (zip tie I mean)

As for what i did today:
Read My Code (PO410) and since I just changed my AIR pump... I a little stuck as to what such a generic code can mean post snow play...

Saw this guy while getting some lucas tranny juice...

Passed my favorite Hippie buss turned seafood store...

God Bless portland...
arrived

started looting:

Down to just a D side HL until I can chuck all of my crap lights!

and scored this baby for $40 (saving $200 on the deal)

it is essentially this

(obviously not the same build but you get it)
specs and such

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-01-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 PM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

Got some new Kicker KS600's, Just got done putting them in, sound great!

And I bought a latch strap thing to hold down my big craftsman tool chest in the back.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?