General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
G_Doughty is on a distinguished road

Brian D, your rig looks great. used cars volkswagen beaverton

Last edited by G_Doughty; 04-13-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo: loks = looks
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member
KustomZ03 is on a distinguished road

I magic erasered the crap out of the plastics in the interior. I don't think the previous owner cleaned it ever...it was gross. Its pretty amazing what those magic erasers can do. It looks almost new now. I also picked up some floor mats since I didnt have any of those either.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
don't feel bad. it costs me around $170 to fill my 'Burb. really sucked a couple of years ago when diesel sat around the $1.40/L mark.

but if i stop for fuel, i always fill it up. can't see the point in putting in just a splash here & there.
i agree, 5 or 10 here or there just means more frequent stops. fixed a bad vaccum leak today, maybe that will help things some. already noticed a increase in heater output, was worried that i had enough vaccum loss that the front axle might not stay engaged. was the rubber elbow that connects to the tube going to the p.c.v. valve. my first thought was that it looked like a spark plug boot. replaced one other vac line also that was cracked. when the weather breaks i think im just going to go through it and replace all vac lines. at nearly 176,000 miles, its certianly time. also ive got some rubber on the rims ive been polishing up, they look better with tires on them, and the blazer does alot better in snow now than with the worn out mastercrafts that it did have. going to clean those wheels next, probly in the summer.

Last edited by racsan; 01-31-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
ooooOOOO! that's gotta hurt!!
you better believe it. the fun part was putting everything back together without using my left index finger or thumb.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 PM
MistaBlue1914 is on a distinguished road

I have entirely too much money in my blazer at this time....
Today:
Learned I needed a front diff, transfer case and a new transmission
Older:
Need new radiator becasue of monster leak
Need new tires (I have 20 inch Panther rims getting redrilled as we speak)
Need tie rod ends
Need new altenator
May need to check the wiring
Need to get front driver seat reupolstered (Tear on the left side of the seat... I wont carry my knife in my back pocket anymore.
Done:
New AC Compressor and condensor
New Heater Core
New head gaskets
New Water Pump
Tune up
Sound System upgrade with 2 JL W3's and all interior speakers updated
Planned:
New cowl hood
Cold air Intake
new dual exhaust
performace module

Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by MistaBlue1914
I have entirely too much money in my blazer at this time....
Today:
Learned I needed a front diff, transfer case and a new transmission
Older:
Need new radiator becasue of monster leak
Need new tires (I have 20 inch Panther rims getting redrilled as we speak)
Need tie rod ends
Need new altenator
May need to check the wiring
Need to get front driver seat reupolstered (Tear on the left side of the seat... I wont carry my knife in my back pocket anymore.
Done:
New AC Compressor and condensor
New Heater Core
New head gaskets
New Water Pump
Tune up
Sound System upgrade with 2 JL W3's and all interior speakers updated
Planned:
New cowl hood
Cold air Intake
new dual exhaust
performace module
god dang man. what did you do, drive it into the ground? how the hell did you blow up a transfer case AND diff AND tranny, drive in 4wd on dry pavement? Or drive it in 4wd without any ATF in there?

As for your seats, just hit a JY and get some used ones. I threw some '00 seats in my '89 and they're damn nice. Only cost me 60 bucks.

Sounds like you got yourself a real lemon even if you didn't blow up the drivetrain yourself.

Edit: sorry, didn't realize GM actually made a 2nd gen blazer that was pretty well locked in 4hi. I just lost a bit of respect for that generation blazer (coupled with the fact that my roommate's '00 bravada needs new head gaskets at 127k miles). Lemme guess: You had mismatched tires, right? AWD cars need all 4 tires replaced at once or serious diff/t-case damage can result. If one tire spins at a slightly lower rate than the other ones, the truck thinks it's losing traction on that wheel and locks that axle. Which causes: abnormal tire wear, abnormal diff wear (which can destroy transfer cases).

Yeah. AWD sucks. You'll get my (mechanical-shift, old-as-hell, reliable) selectable transfer case with low-range out of my COLD DEAD HANDS.

Last edited by theonetruetom; 02-01-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM
MistaBlue1914 is on a distinguished road

I had the correct tires on them, I never mix and match tires, its a 96 with over 200,000 miles on it. It was 4hi AWD... I kept the tranny serviced, but none of the shops I went to ever mentioned checking the TCase, always kept the DIff fluid changed as well. But hey I guess it just happens. It is my daily driver and I do have to put a lot of miles on it. The engine is in excellent condition.... But hey, you live and learn... Good news, I got the front axles taken out so now its rear wheel drive. Aamco will do the transmission rebuild for 1300. I think I have found a rebuilt Transfer case for about 150. Life is looking better... My Cold Air Intake will be here Friday... Taking it to get the new exhaust next weekend... Hopefully a paint job will be in my near future along with the hood.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Beginning Member
Woodstock Blazer is on a distinguished road

In the entire year plus that I've had my Blazer there has only been one speaker that worked. Last weekend I finally got that fixed and put in 4 new speakers in the doors. My local Fry's was closing out their Sony XS-GT1626A for $50 a pair and the internet research/reviews on them seemed pretty good. So now I can listen to music and it's not in Mono! Plus not long ago I installed the ProFit mount for my old iPod Classic. Once spring rolls around I think it's time for checking all the fluids, replacing the shocks, and finally getting the A/C fixed/replaced. That's gonna hurt a little.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

ordered hidextra kit for the high beams.
hopefully getting pitman and idler today....well weather being what it is right now maybe not.

i love having projects coming in the mail

Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by MistaBlue1914
I had the correct tires on them, I never mix and match tires, its a 96 with over 200,000 miles on it. It was 4hi AWD... I kept the tranny serviced, but none of the shops I went to ever mentioned checking the TCase, always kept the DIff fluid changed as well. But hey I guess it just happens. It is my daily driver and I do have to put a lot of miles on it. The engine is in excellent condition.... But hey, you live and learn... Good news, I got the front axles taken out so now its rear wheel drive. Aamco will do the transmission rebuild for 1300. I think I have found a rebuilt Transfer case for about 150. Life is looking better... My Cold Air Intake will be here Friday... Taking it to get the new exhaust next weekend... Hopefully a paint job will be in my near future along with the hood.
not just 'no mix and match tires' but 'buy all 4 tires at the SAME time, otherwise the t-case will die'.

At any rate, I wouldn't tear out the 4wd, just put in a mechanical-shift transfer case and be able to put it in 2hi. or (gag) a push-button shift.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?