General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what oil does GM use from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:39 AM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what oil does GM use from the factory?

time for an oil change and it got me thinking, not that it matters much but what does GM use from the factory on the blazers/other cars?

Old 06-17-2007, 11:50 AM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: what oil does GM use from the factory?

The GM specification for factory is actually listed on the top of the oil fill cap. For blazers and s-10's the factory spec is 5w-30. Myself i usually use 10w-40 in the summer and 10w-30 in the winter.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:17 PM

i was talking about the brand.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question. I've been using Valvoline in my blazer as well as my previous car (saturn sedan). Would make for some nice advertising, whoever it is. "the most dependable, longest-lasting trucks on the road."That's because they use__________________ oil at the factory.[sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 06-17-2007, 12:25 PM

im pretty sure corvettes get mobil 1, i wasn't sure about all the other cars gm makes though.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:19 PM

If i do remember correctly they use texaco brand oil but im not certain on that. At any rate any good reputable company will work just fine for your vehicles (valvoline, mobil, castrol, etc).

Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

AllGMs get Mobil1.

Corvettes, GTOs, Caddilacs,and Hummersget Mobil1 synthetic.

As for me, I only run Havoline Synthetic 10w30.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: RCars2

The GM specification for factory is actually listed on the top of the oil fill cap. For blazers and s-10's the factory spec is 5w-30. Myself i usually use 10w-40 in the summer and 10w-30 in the winter.
10w30 isn't going to change a whole bunch in the winter time... Unless of course yourin one of those places were 65 degrees is "winter"lol

Even then, I highly doubt you'd notice a difference...

I run mobil 1 in all my stuff (except I tried Amsoil in the blazer last time, works as good as Mobil 1, so I'll go to the slightly cheaper mobil 1, lol.)
10w30 is the oil I ran in all my vehicles except my Blazer... It's new enough, that if I keep running 5W30 it's not going to leak, lol.

10W30 in a Chevy doesn't pose any starting issues at -40...

Old 06-17-2007, 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: drperry

ORIGINAL: RCars2

10w30 isn't going to change a whole bunch in the winter time... Unless of course yourin one of those places were 65 degrees is "winter"lol

Even then, I highly doubt you'd notice a difference...

I run mobil 1 in all my stuff (except I tried Amsoil in the blazer last time, works as good as Mobil 1, so I'll go to the slightly cheaper mobil 1, lol.)
10w30 is the oil I ran in all my vehicles except my Blazer... It's new enough, that if I keep running 5W30 it's not going to leak, lol.

10W30 in a Chevy doesn't pose any starting issues at -40...
Hey now, its still technically "winter" but yeah it doesnt snow here or really get down to a temperature worthy of being called cold.

At any rate I've been running valvoline max life 10w-40 most of the year since I've been in AZ and its been working out pretty good for me. Thought about switching to mobil 1 but i haven't really talked to anyone who's used it so I've been hesitant. Well that and its a bit expensive.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:35 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I'm not sure what brand the dealership put in my Blazer when I bought it, but I know it wasn't synthetic...

When I switched to the Amsoil (Mobil 1 performs just as well, and is cheaper...) The truck ran better, and smoother than ever, idle was much much smoother, and I'm sure it's helped with a little better mpg... like 1 mpg, lol

Quick Reply: what oil does GM use from the factory?