General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What Oil should I buy?..Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Beginning Member
n0thing43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Oil should I buy?..Suggestions

Im getting the the 2003 Blazer this weekend. It has 76,000 miles on it. And the oil changes were not kept up with very well. When they were done conventional oil was used. Should I keep using conventional, or use fully synthetic. What brands and formula would you guys suggest?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What Oil should I buy?..Suggestions

These engines are not picky about oil. You won't hurt anything with synthetic, but it is not necessary. Any major brand conventional oil in the appropriate weight (5W30 or 10W30) will be fine. I use Havoline 10W30 and Wix filters. Purolator or AC/Delco filters are good also. If you want lots of information on engine oil, go to bobistheoilguy.com

Old 01-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always used synthetic in all my cars. Even if they used regular before I always switched to synthetic and never had a problem. Also the inside of the valve covers seem cleaner with syn. I use Mobile 1 w/ a mobil 1/k&N Filter.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
c5ce is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently, all three of my vehicles have Mobil1 Synth in the pan. As changes become due, I am switching to Pennzoil Platinum Syth.

I'm switching because Mobil 1 changed thier formula a few years ago and is no longer grade 5, its grade 4 syth. Penn Plat is grade 5 and is getting great oil analysis results, as tested in LS1 engines. I change oil and air filter ever 5k miles in the PT and Blazer. The computer in the Vette tells me when to change oil, which is usually in the 6k range, with the way I drive it.

My son has also switched from Mobil 1 to Penn Plat in his WS6 LS1 T/A.

You'll receive lots of opinions, so enjoy the process!!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:08 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point

i use castrol gtx high mileage and a k&N filter for a while now have had great results with it

Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
dinobike is an unknown quantity at this point

i only run RED LINE (TM) in all my cars. cooler oil temp, lasts long. the only thing it cost more then other oils. i also only a high performance oil filter. K&N is my brand for air and oil filters

Old 01-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they sell the Pennzoil at walmart. I use the mobile 1 because its synthetic and like $21-22 at walmart for the big jug , but ill give pz a try next oil change.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Starting Member
blzrls is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info on Mobil 1,
will be changing to Pennzoil[sm=gears.gif]

Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Beginning Member
n0thing43 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Mobil 1 synthetic myself, what you said about Mobil being downgraded has grabbed my attention! Where did you get your info on the Mobil 1 being downgraded and the Pennsoil being grade 5??

Old 01-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont like Penz because of the excessive wax...
thats just me though

Quick Reply: What Oil should I buy?..Suggestions