General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what tires to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:09 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BLUESKY
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's was my choice. Good ride on the asphalt, and stable on the graded roads. Not too good in deep sand...
They look good too!
Im not sure how they werent good in sand and deep snow. Ive had them on my truck and my moms Suburban and these are one of the best A/T tires ever made! Another great choice is pepboys Dakota A/T. They are pretty much the same tires and the BFG A/T and have amazing traction through everything ive ever put them through. Deep sand, Mud, and over 2ft or snow at a time.

I would suggest if you do go at all off pavement at all skip right over a H/T and get an All Terrain tire. They will be used in snow you said, and some trails here and there you will be a lot better off. They have a more aggressive tread, Ride pretty much just as smooth, and the looks from it are a plus also along with more traction and grip.

My other reasoning is when i had 3 GoodYear Wrangler A/T's the traction was great. Then i had a nail go through the sidewall and dident have a lot of money so i had to get a cheap Highway tire and in the snow that highway tire was always the tire that lost traction and had less control on ice easily compared to the other 3 A/T tires ive had. Ill never put anything less than an A/T tire on for that fact

Last edited by PaulO2288; 05-21-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all the responses. And I agree about deffinantly getting an All Terrain, The toyo HTs i was previously considering would run me almost 600 bucks. I much rather have an AT that I can get for under 500! I know tires arent something you want to cheap out on, but anything will be better then what I have on there now. Im leaning towards the Radials, Because they look more aggressive, and I can get them cheaper then the RTS's.. Im stilled a little worried about how the Radials will handle on the road tho. Im not really concerned about noise, I just went them to grip pavement well and be able to take turns at decent speeds

Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vortec bowtie
I have been looking into Destination AT's, but the place where I can get the good deal on the tires doesnt carry those. If they did, I would probably get them, cause everyone seems to like them...
Until the end of May Firestone is running a 'Buy 3 get 1 Free' sale. You could see if the Destinations are included.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

i have a set of goodyear wrangler silent armors, they seem a little more street friendly than the duratracs (though i have never used the duratracs) but they still have very good offroad traction. As for snow and ice, these things cut through them like a warm knife through butter. I have driven in 3-4" of snow on the road doing a good 40-50mph. And have bumper pushed a good 3+ft of snow in a field.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:54 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I have BFG AT's on mine and most of my off roading is on the beach to go fishing. I have never had a problem with them. I also know BFG came out with a new tire, more of a road tire with a slightly aggressive tread you may want to look into.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Starting Member

alrite ill take a look and see if the Destination ATs are included, thanks.. Anyone have any experience with Toyo Open Country ATs? I can get those for about 120 a tire.

DKS, Ill take a look at the BFG's.. Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

BFG AT. Best all around tire you can buy.
Winner of something like 20 consecutive Baja Races. Yes they are great off-road in everything except deep mud. Great in sand and snow. Plus they handle wet pavement like a champ too.
The BFG AT set the standard for all-terrain tires, the standard the rest try to live up too.
I have taken mine off-roading in Northern Wisconsin, Eagle River area, never got even close to being stuck in the sandy terrain up their.
Plus I drive mine in the worst snow storms we have had in recent history. I have a video on Youtube of me driving through an open field in 8"+ of fresh snow.
YouTube - ‪Drive in a Snow covered field‬‏

First lap in the fresh snow, second lap to show you how deep it was.
The banging noise is my keys on the dash.
Even drove through a 2' snow bank after climbing a little hill.
I have a grill guard with rubber bumpers to push stuck vehicles. I have used it numerous times to get people unstuck, including a cop car. The cops buddy in an Expedition couldnt budge him. I lined up, gave him a nudge, he didnt move. Told him I was going to hit him a little hard, backed up about a foot, bumped into him and pushed him off the road and into a gas station. Slipped around and then pulled a stuck Ford pickup off the median. Dropped the wife off at Wally world. Flipped around an pulled Wally world plow truck out, he got stuck trying to push a mini-van that got stuck. Once I got the plow truck out of the way I pushed the mini-van free. Then went and pushed a car into another gas station. I had to drive over the median to get lined up behind him. All in 8+ inches of snow. Smae day I shot the video posted above. On my way home there was a Dodge Ram 1500 stuck at the entrace to our street. Tried to push him, that didnt work wo I drug him downt eh street to his house and then pushed him into his driveway.

BFG All-Terrains 30x9.5x15" Been running them for the last 170,000 miles. On my 3rd set.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hanr3
BFG AT. Best all around tire you can buy.
Winner of something like 20 consecutive Baja Races. Yes they are great off-road in everything except deep mud. Great in sand and snow. Plus they handle wet pavement like a champ too.
The BFG AT set the standard for all-terrain tires, the standard the rest try to live up too.
I have taken mine off-roading in Northern Wisconsin, Eagle River area, never got even close to being stuck in the sandy terrain up their.
Plus I drive mine in the worst snow storms we have had in recent history. I have a video on Youtube of me driving through an open field in 8"+ of fresh snow.
YouTube - ‪Drive in a Snow covered field‬‏

First lap in the fresh snow, second lap to show you how deep it was.
The banging noise is my keys on the dash.
Even drove through a 2' snow bank after climbing a little hill.
I have a grill guard with rubber bumpers to push stuck vehicles. I have used it numerous times to get people unstuck, including a cop car. The cops buddy in an Expedition couldnt budge him. I lined up, gave him a nudge, he didnt move. Told him I was going to hit him a little hard, backed up about a foot, bumped into him and pushed him off the road and into a gas station. Slipped around and then pulled a stuck Ford pickup off the median. Dropped the wife off at Wally world. Flipped around an pulled Wally world plow truck out, he got stuck trying to push a mini-van that got stuck. Once I got the plow truck out of the way I pushed the mini-van free. Then went and pushed a car into another gas station. I had to drive over the median to get lined up behind him. All in 8+ inches of snow. Smae day I shot the video posted above. On my way home there was a Dodge Ram 1500 stuck at the entrace to our street. Tried to push him, that didnt work wo I drug him downt eh street to his house and then pushed him into his driveway.

BFG All-Terrains 30x9.5x15" Been running them for the last 170,000 miles. On my 3rd set.
TOTALLY AGREE!!! Like i said i dident have the money for them but the closest thing to them were the Dakota A/T's and they literally look the exact same and are just about as good!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Starting Member

I think im just gonna go for the wrangler radials. For 400 bucks I dont think I can go wrong. I was thinking about the wrangler rt/s, but i havent heard anything good about them, so I dontt think there worth the extra cash. Like I said, mostly all my driving will be on roads. Im in highschool and drive to school everyday, and I drive upnorth about once a month. So I deffinantly want something that drives pretty smooth on the road. If the offroad performance is decent, im fine with that. Ill just be hitting the occasional trail. Unless someone can talk me out of it, ill prly just get these wrangler radials

Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Starting Member
btmbass is on a distinguished road

I've got BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A KOs, they are noisy on the highway compared to my old street tires, but I haven't been able to get myself stuck in mud yet (even in 2wd) and wet traction is amazing. I'm looking forward to the winter with these tires

Quick Reply: what tires to get?