General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

who makes a bike carrier that will fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:27 PM
jeffbeckib is on a distinguished road
Default who makes a bike carrier that will fit?

I can't find one company who makes a bike rack/carrier (NON-HITCH, NON-ROOF) style that shows it's compatible with my 1999 blazer 2dr/2wd? Nobody makes one?
why would one work with a grand cherokee or explorer but not a blazer??

Last edited by jeffbeckib; 05-02-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

why not just order one and mod it to fit

Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I've seen many different Blazers on here with various racks. I have a Yakima raptor aero. Mine is mounted to a set of round crossbars like in the picture below but it also came with some brackets to mount to the stock, flat/arched cross bars.

The only issue I could see is because the 2dr Blazer had a slightly shorter length and that was translated to the roof rack as well. Perhaps there are some racks that need the cross bars to be a certain length apart that the stock roof rack won't allow. The yakima that I have (and I'm sure most Thule are similar) is designed so that the two attachment points can be at any distance from each other.

I believe GM offered a roof top carrier similar to the one in that pic as well as a carrier that was meant to attach to the rear spare tire (for trucks equipped with it). I've never been able to find any detailed information or part numbers though.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 AM

I don't want roof mount either, I'm looking for something that mounts onto the back hatch like the ones they make for Jeeps and Explorers, except they say not to mount them on the blazer because the hooks are hooking around the Glass and not the Gate itself.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Would it be possible to extend the straps out long enough to hook on to the roof rack instead of the glass?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM

I don't think so, somebody told me that there's some kind of strap that would go over the glass into the truck and has some kind of rubber bumper that rests against the inside of the glass, but it would still be putting pressure on the top of the glass.
I was just wondering if anybody out there with a blazer has a trunk mount style bike carrier mounted on their rear gate without the use of a trailer hitch attachment.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 PM

This is what somebody suggested, not sure if it would solve my problem or not.

Bicycle Parts: Bicycle Accessories: Yakima Glass Hatch Hooks

Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have a INNU roof rack.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 PM

That's great, did you bother to read that I'm not looking for a Roof Rack?