Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Good beginner bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Starting Member
TheStig is on a distinguished road
Default Good beginner bike?

Thinking about buying a bike when I get back. Ive been completely against the idea for a long time mostly because of my lack of experience. I know alot of people who ride, but most of them grew up with dirtbikes (I stuck to quad runners) At this point in my life tho, I think Im over the immaturity that would have gotten me into trouble. Ive got a good dependable DD, I can afford one without it being a huge financial stretch, and I think Ive seen enough people I know get into major trouble, or be injured or killed, to have real respect for the machine and the danger that's involved with it.

That all being said, Ive been looking on craigslist just for prices, and ideas. It looks like the type of bike Im looking for will be right in my price range.
I was thinking somthing in the range of a 400 (possibly as high as a 600, let me know your opinion) no need for something that'll pick the front end up, or do 160mph (in fact Id prefer it not do either) I was thinking a crotch rocket for two reasons: They seem to be cheaper, and from what Ive been told they're easier to ride. Id like something that looks good but I have no issues with something older that wont be a huge shame when I tip it over in the driveway once or twice.
So if anyone has any suggestions or personal experience to share Id love to hear them.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 AM
DriftinBlzr is on a distinguished road

Look into a Suzuki Gs500 or a Kawasaki Ex500. They fairly light and cheap. They've been made a long time so used parts are easy to get. Also they're not powerful enough to go too fast yet have enough power that you won't outgrow them quickly.

Later, Doug

Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Beginning Member
Sway_89S10 is on a distinguished road

From what I've seen, Suzuki GXSRs seem to be a great bike. I know a ton of people who have them and they never have any problems with them aside from normal wear and tear. And they're usually cheaper but also boast less power compared to other bikes of the same size class, which seems to be what you're looking for. In my area, I can look at Craigslist any day of the week and find a GXSR 600 for $1200 - $1500.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Starting Member

Yeah Ive been seeing alot of GSXRs on CL pretty new for really good prices, they look like a pretty sweet bike, and there's no shortage of them either.
Also they're not powerful enough to go too fast yet have enough power that you won't outgrow them quickly.
Sounds exactly what Im looking for, I dont mind upgrading later on but I'd like to have something for a few years at least before I do.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

The first bike a ever rode was a 98 cbr 600. Pretty much what I learned on. Was a good bike to cruise around in. A friend just picked up a 2008 ninja 250r for 2900.00. I got to say the bike looks pretty sweet. Really light and super easy to ride and handle. Dont be fooled by the 250. Still picks up pretty quick and holds a steady 110mph . And it gets over 40 mpg.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Starting Member

good to know. I was wondering about the Ninjas, they seem to have a pretty good variety of sizes, look good, and seem really cheap.
I was also wondering what is considered high mileage for a bike? Most of the ones in my price range are in the neighborhood of 15-20k, the highest being almost 30k

Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
DriftinBlzr is on a distinguished road

If you want to go with a GSXR, maybe look at the GSX "Katana." They are still quicker than a Gs500 or Ex500 but won't have the insurance premium like the Gsxr will. Also their ergonomics are better than a race-rep Gsxr.

Same thing goes with the Kawasaki's. Try looking for a Zx-6D or Zx-6E model. Again, they are more comfortable and less insurance $$ than the Zx-6R Ninja models.

Later, Doug

Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Beginning Member
Sway_89S10 is on a distinguished road

Don't mean to go off-topic, but motorcycle insurance isn't required around here. It's actually funny how it works, If you have insurance, you're not required to wear a helmet, but if you don't then you are required to.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just go down to your local suzuki shop and get the keys to a hayabusa lol. No but seriously a katana is a good bike for a beginner, its light, cheap and easy to fix

Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Buell? There is a guy in my building that drives it back and forth to class... sounds nice, not much of a looker, and he is a relaxed guy, so I have never seen it get WOT, but I hear they are good lil bikes

Quick Reply: Good beginner bike?