General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

wondering what my Blazer could sell for:new motor,trans,etc.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 AM
GMdesigner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wondering what my Blazer could sell for:new motor,trans,etc.

Hello. I have a black '95 Chevy Blazer, 4.3L 4x4 4 door. It has 150k miles on the odo, but it has a fresh refurb motor (0 miles), new radiator, new alternator. It also has a completely rebuilt Trans, with new internals including wiring harness, transfer case switch, new seals, the hole nine, also with 0 miles. Also, new motor mounts, u-joints for the driveshaft/etc. In the last few months I have lifted it 2" with rear shackles and a front torsion bar crank. It has brand new Mickey Thompson 31"x10"x R15 (only about 600 miles on them) with brand new black powdercoated soft 8 wheels (maybe 50 miles on them) with 1.5" spacers in the rear for a great stance. It has a brand new roof basket painted with a black epoxy based paint with a rough texture. It is an LS model, leather seats, power windows, locks, brakes, steering etc. New brakes (pads, shoes, rotors, about 50 miles on them)

This truck is solid, no rust, but a few minor dings, and a soft ball sized dent on the drivers quarter. Very good looking, as I have stripped off all the badging, trim etc, making it a clean black on black wheels look. It has new headlights (result of a slight fender bender). The car has also been hit in the rear, and has a rebuild title, though the backstory reveals that it was never actually a "totaled" vehicle, but the insurance claimed it as such, allowing me to buy it back for $800 and put a new rear bumper on it and it was good as new.

The interior has some wear on the drivers seat where the driver slides across the side of the seat, but beyond that, it is a really clean and has never been smoked in. clean carpet, newer floor mats.

A few things do not work such as the power mirors as they are replaced (hit the garage on one side, and someone ripped off the other in college) and the drivers door needs to be unlocked with a key.

So, it is not a perfect car, but it is a very great car, now with new 3 year-unlimited miliagewarrantied engine,fresh rebuilt trans., nice wheels, and solid body and interior plus many other new accesories etc. I also have the factory wheels with lots of rubber left on them.

What do you guys think would be a good price if I wanted to sell it right now, based on current sales values?

I have seen many in the $8k-$12k range with 60k-140k miles, and good shape around me. I do not expect anywhere near that, but if I could break even on the car I would be able to let it go....your thoughts?

p.s. I am picking it up from the shop today, and will try to get pics of it so people can see how nice it is, as well as the defects. Essentially, I was afraid to make the move to a new or newer car, but have a bit of buyers remorse from putting so much into it to fix the motor/trans., so I am considering selling it and using the money as a big downpayment on something, so I can have a small monthly payment

THANKS!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: wondering what my Blazer could sell for:new motor,trans,etc.

Well, the new motor & trans should help a bit, but you have to face the fact that the entire rest of the truck still is 12 years old and has 150k miles on it. I'm betting that unless you find the right person, $3500 would be tops.

Did you add the leather? The LS models didn't come with leather did they?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 AM

I meant it is an LT model...typo. I didn't think it would bring much, so that is why I decided to fix it instead of selling it with a blown motor and trans with a salvage title and get it back to being a good driver for me, to avoid getting into a new car situation with a car payment...but it just ended up being so expensive to fix and I am really afraid it is going to be bad down the road now that I am deeply invested in it. I might detail it really well and put it up for sale and see what happens...if it sells for enough to recoup the motor/trans cost and the new wheels and tires, great, if not, hang onto it.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
mdemers2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same model as you.I bought mine for 4000$ canadian.Looks new,no rust,engine had 240000KM when I bought it.Of course I need to add Trany fluid every 5 days but then again,I need to replace my Gasket pan,except that matter mine is OK.

So I am gessing you could get around that same price cause of the new trany & new engine,other than that,I would say that truck would have been good for 1000$ Max.

How much did you pay for your new Vortec anyways?

Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 PM

well, unfortunately I have about $5000in it for both the new motor and trans as well as a handful of other accesories (oil coolant lines, motor mounts, u-joints, radiator, and several other costly parts, but is with a 3 year, unlimited mile warranty on most all of it from a repitable shop here near Detroit. I normally do all of my own work, but with a new full-time career, no garage, few tools, and none of my Cincinnati family friends to help, I had to just go with a professional shop up here in Detroit. If I was back home, I could head over to my dad's shop and spend a few weeks tearing into it and we could have done it for probably 1/3 as much, but such is life. I will get pics up. It is really a nice truck, very clean. Around here dealerships are trying to get $8k-$12k for '94-'97 Blazers like mine with anywhere from 60k miles-140k, so there is some market for them up here it seems. I am probably just hoping and praying, but if I could get $5500-$6500 I would be able to unload it to someone, who will end up with a quality car. Or, I might just sell off the wheels and tires, spacers, and cage, for around a grand, and sell the truck for like $4500-$5500. If someone bites, cool, if not, I will rock the Blazer till the wheels fall off.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

I could see someone paying up to 5 grand for that (I'm not saying they should though). Maybe put it online or something. There are a lot of people/suckers out there who don't know what they should really pay for a truck like that and with all the work you've put into it plus a warrantied engine its certainly possibe you will find a buyer or a first time buyer who doesn't know what they're doing.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:16 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

I honestly would not pay more than $2k for it and it would be a real stretch for me to go that far. As a general rule I don't buy vehicles that have a salvage title.........

Plus you mentioned all the dents plus 2 collisions, plus the mirrors not working. Your best bet would be to sell the engine and tranny as a package deal without mentioning the shell.

It is also going to be a little harder to sell it because banks will only approve car loans on cars that are 7 years old maximum. And with your dealers trying to sell 94-97 for $8k-$12k they are ripping people off. I bought mine (2000 LT) from a dealer with 75k miles on it for $8k a year ago.

Just my .02

Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 PM
thevair65 is an unknown quantity at this point

you would be suprised how much people will pay. i saw an 87 blazer at a dealership around here it was in decent shape had like 130K original. someone baught it for $7,200 i couldnt believe they could get that kind of money for that thing.