General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

WTB S10 4x4 Blazer, Need Advise...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Dube2 is on a distinguished road
Default WTB S10 4x4 Blazer, Need Advise...

Guys/Gals, New Here...

I'm a true Chevy Owner and I've owned in the past (4) S10 PU's (1) Extreme and (1) 2d S10 Blazer and (1) 4dr S10 Blazer. However all of them 2wd. I have ventured in to the 4x4 world and purchased a 94 4Runner only to find out it was totally gutless and also could not be towed w/out dis-conecting the driveshaft, what a POS. I was surprised to say the least. I now have my 4R up for sale and was looking to get an S10 Blazer. I've read the owners manual and see that most of the 4x4 Blazers can be flat towed as long as you put the TC in neutral. A specific procedure but possible w/out removing the Driveshaft. Can you confirm this?

Also, lift kits, i've read a lot of forums and i know its all a matter of opion, but I would not be going any larger than 31" A/T and would also like to have a little more room for articulating in the mid rage offroading. this will be my wifes daily driver so don't want anything too overly extreme. what is your opinion for a 3" lift? and what type? I'm mechanically enclined and want a bolt on kit.

MPG: most of my 2wd 4.3's got 20MPG, with 31" tires and stock gearing what will it drop to?

are there any years to stay away from? I was looking at anywhere from 99 to 2003 or 4. Pretty much all she same, anything I should look out for?

Last but not the least, offroading... I was going to get a Cherokee bc of the straight axel and the flat tow capability, but like I said, I'm a Chevy guy all the way. I had an awesome Samurai and sold it for the 4Runner. what a big mistake. So, that being said I viewed hundreds of youtube videos of S10 Blazers off roading. What is the comparison to having a straight axel to a independent front end? I figure a large lift will require a straight axel. Although i also have a 3500HD 4x4 Dually, I didn't buy it to go offraoding, I bought it just in case I got stuck pulling my toyhauler. So, I'm still kind inexperienced in what to do in a bad situation. I already stuffed my Dually in the sand due to lack of experience. was trying to pull out a buddy and sunk it to the frame in seconds. should I, or should I not need lockers for the blazer?

and why can an all-wheel drive Land Rover crawl so well with low profile tires and a Blazer breake an axel in the same place?.

Lastly, What will I be lacking in the equipment department if I got the Blazer and wanted to go on excursions with the fam?

Thanks In Advance, Dube2

Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

straight axle is just simply stronger, well depending on which one you had. years ago i had a 85 s10 with the stock front end and 33 inch tires. i would snap axles basically anytime i turned the wheel slighly more then like 90 degrees. im now running fullsize axles from under a k5 blazer under my s10 with 33 inch boggers and double the horse power and they havent failed me yet.