General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Scam Artists at Oil Change places

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Beginning Member
BlackBlazer04 is on a distinguished road
Default Scam Artists at Oil Change places

I live in an apt, so I cant really change my own oil. I take my Blazer to those oil change places, and they are always trying to scam me by saying I need all this extra stuff done. What are some of the silly things they have tried to do to you?

Here is what they try on me:

They keep trying to get me to do Brake Flush, saying it is recommended, and they want $100 for it. When I got my brakes done recently at a small, honest, well priced shop they only charge $28 for brake flush, and they told me never to get that done. Funny how the place that charged nearly 1/3 of cost said the work was not needed and didn't do it.

They try to get me to change Fuel Filter all the time even though I don't put that many miles on the car.

When I did actually change Fuel Filter due to being several years old, the next time I got oil changed at a different place they told me I needed new Fuel Filter. I forgot and said yeah do that, then sat down and thought wait I already got that done, then mechanic confirmed it was brand new filter. Had I not said anything they would have changed the fuel filter again.

I did change Rear Differential Fluid at 50,000 miles since its a 4x4, then next oil change at different place they told me I needed to change Rear Differential Fluid because it is needed at 50,000 miles.

They try to get me to do other crap like Power Steering Flush, Transmission Service, etc, I was told this is all not needed unless you are really having issues, and that Trans Flush can actually cause problems if it has not been flushed ever.

I will be due for another Blazer oil change in about 45 days or so, and I wonder what kind of B.S. they are gonna try on me again.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM
ckroll98 is on a distinguished road

If you go to one place to get service done and then go to another place the next time, how is that new place going to know what was done at the previous place? They don't all share records and don't put stickers and such on your window for fuel filter, trans, brake, etc. They are trying to sell you a recommended service at the mfg intervals. If you tell them that it was already done, then they will back off. If they don't know it was done, they just offer. Most of those things are mfg recommended preventative maintenance to PREVENT things from happening and costing you lots of money for repairs. Just like doctor's visits. You go for check ups so they can spot POTENTIAL problems before they become big problems.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I hate shops, which is why I do all my work, even if I lived in an apartment, I know people that live in houses, that would be more than willing to lend the driveway.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackBlazer04
They keep trying to get me to do Brake Flush, saying it is recommended, and they want $100 for it. When I got my brakes done recently at a small, honest, well priced shop they only charge $28 for brake flush, and they told me never to get that done. Funny how the place that charged nearly 1/3 of cost said the work was not needed and didn't do it...
A brake fluid bleed and change is most certainly a needed service item if you want to keep your brake system working properly for a long time. I would be very doubtful of that shop. A Chevy dealer will do the job for around $80.

Originally Posted by ckroll98
If you go to one place to get service done and then go to another place the next time, how is that new place going to know what was done at the previous place? They don't all share records and don't put stickers and such on your window for fuel filter, trans, brake, etc. They are trying to sell you a recommended service at the mfg intervals. If you tell them that it was already done, then they will back off. If they don't know it was done, they just offer. Most of those things are mfg recommended preventative maintenance to PREVENT things from happening and costing you lots of money for repairs. Just like doctor's visits. You go for check ups so they can spot POTENTIAL problems before they become big problems.
^ x2!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Starting Member
HostileJava is on a distinguished road

While it is up to you to maintain records of what was done and when to your vehicle unless you always go to the same place there are those that will rip you off.

I do almost all the work to my vehicles myself except for oil changes, for the price of the change vs going out and buying the parts myself and the convenience of not having to dispose of oil I usually take it somewhere. Last weekend I took my wifes van for an oil change with a coupon to get it done for 19.99. The technician called and told me it needed the tranny flushed, coolant flushed, and brake fluid flushed. When I explained that I already maintain all that and it is not needed he proceeded to tell me that all 4 of my tires were dry rotted and that the battery was operating at minimal efficiancy. At this point I started wondering if we were even talking about the same vehicle becase the tires were only 1.5 years old and the vehicle get's driven 5-6 days a week(I inspected them when I got home at it was fine). To be fair the battery may be going out, but to be honest I don't really care as I always have a jump pack in my vehicles for longer trips and I'll replace it when it stops working, however I really doubt there was an issue with the battery as my wife has been having no hestitation on starting. On top of that the check engine light was on when I dropped it off indicating the 02 sensor at the cat needs to be replaced and the tech didn't say a word about that. The code goes away during winter for whatever reason and that's when inspection is up so I haven't bothered with fixing it. But how do you tell me I need new tires and a battery and not mention the check engine light?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah even if you have to borrow someones drive way always do it yourself.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

we get the occasional customer that comes in from getting tires done, or a oil change where they said that some parts were bad, sometimes they are sometimes they arent, sometimes theres even more stuff wrong with it that they didnt see.

the latest was a suv that had tires put on it and said that the bearing was bad, come to find out it was actually the ball joints

Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member
BlackBlazer04 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ckroll98
Because they didn't even look at the fuel filter, they also didn't ask when/if I ever changed it. They just said you need a new fuel filter. I guarantee they would have replaced it even if they noticed it was new.

I do usually go to the same place, it was just twice that I went elsewhere and they tried to push same service on me. However same place I usually go to still tries to rip me off sometimes by pushing the same stuff on me that I already got done.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

It's one thing to have shops try to upsell you stuff you may or may not need.

We used to take our work trucks to this place to get oil changes, tires, bulbs, etc. There was several times I would ask to have them replace a bulb, or repair a small leak in a tire, and they wouldn't do it, even though it showed up as a charge on the receipt. I didn't catch it for awhile, because I didn't check the receipt since I wasn't paying for it. I finally started calling them on it, but they didn't really get any better.

I finally started taking my truck to another place in town, but I never could convince the other employees to stop going there, despite horrible at best service.