General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Your honest opinions on the 2000 4lt V6 Ford Explorer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Starting Member
Dobe Rottie Gang is on a distinguished road
Default Your honest opinions on the 2000 4lt V6 Ford Explorer.

My wife has found a 2000 4lt V6 Ford Explorer that she really likes and is trying to talk me into buying it for her.

I have done some homework on the net about the truck and the only real issue I can see that keeps coming up is that it has twin timing chains and that to replace the rear one the engine has to come out.

I’m just wondering if any of you have owned one of these trucks and if so what are they like to work on and drive compared to a Chevy Blazer.

Honest reviews only please.

Many thanks for any help you can offer me.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:49 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

enjoy replacing the trans every 10000 miles.

theres so many v6 models that have bad trans on craigslist here its nuts. apprently the v6 trans are weak. Something about a check ball jamming in a brass valve and burning clutches up. this is just stuff ive read somewhere over the years. But,the fact ive seen so many people at the yards needing a trans for them,i wouldnt own one.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by chris015
enjoy replacing the trans every 10000 miles.

theres so many v6 models that have bad trans on craigslist here its nuts. apprently the v6 trans are weak. Something about a check ball jamming in a brass valve and burning clutches up. this is just stuff ive read somewhere over the years. But,the fact ive seen so many people at the yards needing a trans for them,i wouldnt own one.

Chris does that only apply to the manual gearbox as in the UK we only have the automatic version or does it affect both?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

its the automatics with the issues. When i said clutches i meant the clutch disks in the trans.oops

Old 11-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Locally to me, they eat transmissions as said already, they eat wheel bearings worse than a 4x4 s-series, and you can hear them rotting away at night. Plus is depending on which gearing it has, you can sell the rear axle to Jeep guys.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Starting Member

Thank you gents, I've heard all I need and no she's not having it.

I'll buy her a bunch of roses instead. lol

Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

FWIW my mother has had a 2004 and 1994 explorer. 94 was a 4.0L, 04 was a 4.6L. Both lived a decent life. Biggest issue was probably rust on both of them... The rockers rotted out and the front TTB suspension was falling apart on the 94, all the coil springs snapped in two on the 04. They both lost a lot of Electronic components. The 4.6L burned a lot of oil and made a TON of terrible noises when cold. I think it also had 2 or 3 rear diff rebuilds in its life time because of the stupid IRS. Auto trannys surprisingly held together for over 150K on both though.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Jasongr81 is on a distinguished road

I had a 2000 Ranger 3.0 4x4 5 speed and loved it. I bought it when I lived in Las Vegas had it a few years out there then drove it back home here in Ohio no problems with the long drive. I had it for about 5 years til the coil pack cracked and I replaced it then threw a rod or piston thru the oil pan cause of my heavy foot. Honestly I would still have it I loved that truck.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Beginning Member
Jimmybeatergal is on a distinguished road

Reason why there called exploders it's a ford lol. Anything is bound to happen with them. My dad is a lisenced mechanic, they keep him busy at work lol

Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Beginning Member
Jimmybeatergal is on a distinguished road

The exploders keep him busy at work I mean lol

Quick Reply: Your honest opinions on the 2000 4lt V6 Ford Explorer.