General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ZR2-ed It!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:44 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Holy **** that was a great deal!!!!! Any advice on taking the front differential off or did you just take the whole front axle out at once?

Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Wow! I wish I had the skills to pull off a swap like this.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 AM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Im pretty familiar with the gm tech II and it should be able to program it for the 3.73 because it was an option even on non zr2s. I know you can reprogram the speedo for 31s with it since 31s came on zr2s.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Looking good!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Quick question... .You did not spring over axle it because (welding?)?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I figured the GM dealers could do it, but mine are just slightly uncooperative.. thanks for the info though, I'm gonna try talking to them again with more info and proof on my side and see if I can make something happen. Really good point to all who mentioned that these are all stock option sizes I'm working with! Thanks

Originally Posted by rob44_90
Holy **** that was a great deal!!!!! Any advice on taking the front differential off or did you just take the whole front axle out at once?
I know! I couldn't pass it up But no real tricks to pulling the front diff...I just pulled both CV's individually like I was going to swap them, disconnected the 4x4 engagement cable, disconnected relay rod for the steering, then finagled around to get the mount bolts! Wasnt too bad if youve ever done a CV before haha. I followed THIS for some help. But if you crawl under the front and look at it, its really not too bad.

Originally Posted by wlorton
Quick question... .You did not spring over axle it because (welding?)?
Well Im sure a talented fabricator could come up with some nice spring perches to weld on, or at least make the stock plates work somehow, but I would have to buy the SOA kit from TM/BDS/Rancho, which = $$, and I couldnt justify it without a little more research into my lift plans. The kits do not need any welding, its just U-Bolts like the stock axle/leaf setup uses. If you look at the pic of the stock axle out of the truck, the only thing welded to the axle tubes is the bumpstop plate haha.

Last edited by WolfPack; 10-11-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by WolfPack

Well Im sure a talented fabricator could come up with some nice spring perches to weld on, or at least make the stock plates work somehow, but I would have to buy the SOA kit from TM/BDS/Rancho, which = $$, and I couldnt justify it without a little more research into my lift plans. The kits do not need any welding, its just U-Bolts like the stock axle/leaf setup uses. If you look at the pic of the stock axle out of the truck, the only thing welded to the axle tubes is the bumpstop plate haha.
I was just curious, as I think Blaz1n, (name is escaping me, he is in the bb group as Gare bear) He did it and had to cut off the bump stops, I was just curious what would be welded, but Its freaking awesome..... Your truck is the inspiration for mine, and I am curious about your new "tow hooks"

Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Heres another angle showing the rear axle width..little more favorable lighting this time.

And I cant remember if I put up a post when I did the receiver shackles with the brush guard...so here's a quick run down. The tow hooks were completely blocked by the brush guard. Because of this, they were essentially useless. I wanted to put in receiver shackles, but again, those were blocked by the brush guard. So I just went to Harbor Freight, got 2 12"x2" receiver tubes, and bought 2 receiver shackles from SynergyOffroad. I used the two holes already in the frame rails for the skid plate mount, drilled them out to get rid of the threads, then drilled two more holes in the frame rail. 1/2" drill bit and lots of WD40 to keep the heat down. Also drilled the same 4 hole pattern on the receiver tubes on the bench. The trick was to slightly angle the receiver tubes inward, towards the centerline of the truck. This lets them clear the brush guard supports and gives me functional recovery hooks.

Also I can now use my Hi-Lift on the truck safely

I can get ya a pic of the underside showing how I drilled the holes/relative positions if youre curious...didnt think to snap that when I was just outside

Old 10-11-2010, 04:36 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

yikes. that's some pretty serious camber you've got going on in the front

Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
BF Veteran

I know Ive taken it to 3 different shops to get it aligned, 4 Wheel Parts is the only one that can attach the stuff to the rims. Something about the Grabber AT2's rim protector lip...or so they say...haha I just need an alignment. I rotate my tires every 2k miles though and theyre wearing nice and even despite the apparent camber issue. Maybe me sitting in the truck weighs it down enough to level the wheels?

Quick Reply: ZR2-ed It!