General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

#@$%ing power locks

Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Beginning Member
UrbanOffRoader is an unknown quantity at this point
Default #@$%ing power locks

Lately, my power locks have been unlocking themselves in damp, or rainy weather. Last week, (for the third time in a month) I've come out to find a dead battery (from locks cycling over and over) and my stuff tossed around (from a homeless pos going through my truck).

I pulled the fuse that controls the power locks for now, but it also kills the power seats, which is bad when my 5'2 girlfriend attempts to drive my blazer.

Obviously it's a short, or bad keyless module, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and where I should start looking for faults.

Any info would be lovely
Thanks a bunch

Old 11-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: #@$%ing power locks

While I don't have the same problem as you do, I traced mine back to the keyless module. At first, the interior lights would flicker and the door locks would not work from the switches or the remote. I check all the wiring to the dome lights and found a corroded splice for the rear door jam switches. I repaired that. Now my module doesn't have any output for the lock circuit or the unlock circuit for all the doors except the driver's door. All other functions work. All the wiring checks out. The module for the 97 model year is GM# 09387160.

The module is located on top of the lower dash panel near the ODB2 port. Put you fuse back in and unplug the module and see if your problem still exist. The interior power door lock switches will still work, but the lock on the driver's door will not, atleast that is how mine works.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Beginning Member
UrbanOffRoader is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: #@$%ing power locks

Thanks a bunch!

I figured it was the keyless module but I didn't know where it was.

The only problem is, I went outside, pulled off the lower dash, and looked for the module. It appears to be missing. In it's place there is a command start unit that is tied into my power locks, and a mess of wires.

Am I just not seeing the module? Or is it possible that it was removed when the command start unit was installed?

That command start unit has been trouble since I found out it was in there. It doesn't work, and I don't have the remote to actually start the vehicle. I just have the standard GM key fobs.

I think I'll have to do some digging around in there and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for the suggestion to pull the plug on the module. if I find it, I'll give it a go.

Thanks again