General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Blazer Crank Bearings "Shot"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:47 PM
elmerrussell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1998 Blazer Crank Bearings "Shot"

My father in law purchased a 98 from his son who originally bought it new. 2 weeks ago the crank bearings went and both the local dealership and engine rebuilders say it was a problem from the factory(?). The truck had 155,000 kms and from knowing both owners this vehicle has never been abused and only driven as a commuter vehicle. The father in law has been meticulous about service and repair and I find it strange that this problem would arise with such low mileage. If anyone has had the same problem and found resolution thru General Motors for the cost of repair ($3500 to $4500) please let me know. Also if there had been any recalls of this nature in the last couple of years that may have been missed or overlooked please, again, let me know via this forum or at elmer.joanne@sasktel.net. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1998 Blazer Crank Bearings "Shot"

It is possible that there was a defect in the bearings, crank, or rods. At 155,000km (roughly 97,000 miles), sure it is odd for this to happen. But with that kind of mileage, I highly doubt GM will do anything for you.

I have searched through the TSBs for your year, specifically dealing with the engine. Below is what I could find:
Engine - Premature Main Bearing Failure
File In Section: 6 - Engine
Bulletin No.: 87-61-22
Date: March, 1998
INFORMATION
Subject:
Premature Main Bearing Failure
Models:
1996-98 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, M/L, S/T, G, P Models
1996-98 Oldsmobile Bravada
with 4.3L V6 Engine (VINs W, X - RPOs L35, LF6)
There have been several reports from the field (TAS) of some 4.3L V6's experiencing premature engine main bearing failure. In most of these cases, this
condition has occurred soon after an inlet manifold R&R procedure.
In 1996, the Gen 1 V6 engines were re-engineered to incorporate "vertical" inlet manifold to cylinder head attaching bolts. If the inlet manifold bolts are
over torqued, the crankshaft main bearing bore will be distorted, eliminating the necessary clearance for proper oil film.
Notice:
IF INLET MANIFOLD ATTACHING BOLT TORQUE AND TIGHTENING SEQUENCE ARE NOT STRICTLY ADHERED TO, PER THE
SERVICE MANUAL, CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARING BORE ALIGNMENT CAN BE DISTORTED WITH CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARING
FAILURE BEING THE END RESULT.
Important:
1. Always follow published inlet manifold service procedures.
2. DO NOT overtorque inlet manifold to cylinder head attaching bolts.
3. DO NOT deviate from the published bolt tightening torque sequence.