General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Blazer Shuts down at stop lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
beeneeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 Blazer Shuts down at stop lights

How’s it going today? I have a problem with my 2001 Chevy Blazer shutting down at stop lights. I’ll just be driving down the road, stop at a stoplight, and the engine will completely shut down. I’ll turn the engine over & then it’ll start up just fine. Here’s a few details of my blazer:

1. Fuel filter has been changed within the past 2 months
2. PCV Valve has been changed within the past month
3. Spark plugs haven’t been changed since I got it…I’ve had it for one year
4. Coolant was flushed about 2 weeks ago
5. Fan clutch probably needs to be replaced

The engine is not overheating or anything like that. BUT…the fuel gauge does not read correctly. It’ll say that I have ¼ of a tank & then turn right around & pop the “Low Fuel” light on.

Anyone have any ideas? The engine shutting down problem just began this morning.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:52 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2001 Blazer Shuts down at stop lights

I had a similar problem when the little rubber elbow that connects to the PCV valve cracked causing a vaccum leak. The engine would run just fine except for at an idle.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:58 PM
beeneeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Welp...took it to the shop today & they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:22 PM
indigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Beeneeb (or anyone that can help for that matter!),

Were you able to find anything out about your truck? I also have a 2001 and am having just about the same problems. I just replaced the fuel pump, plugs and wires. Still no change. It will stumble while driving at any rpm and will stall at a stop. Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated.

alex

Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 PM
LT1KICKER is an unknown quantity at this point

If it runs fine but shuts itself off when coming to a stop, it is possible that you are having torque converter problems. Although I've not heard of this problem before on these particular platforms, it is possible. How many miles on the truck/when was the transmission serviced last?

Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would check the EGR valve. Pull it off and clean it. You'll want to grab a new gasket before pulling it off. Use some sensor safe carbon cleaner and thoroughly clean the valve passages, making sure to get any debris out away from the pintle valve.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I will definitely check the EGR valve. I really appreciate your help.

By the way, swartlkk, I love that 70 Chevelle you have. I restored a 65 SS almost from the ground up (frame only thing I didnt restore) but unfortunately had to sell it. I will be getting another Chevelle soon hopefully. Thanks again for the help guys.

Alex

Old 10-24-2006, 12:58 PM

I forgot to add a couple of things.

1. Runs rough with A/C on.
2. Fuel guage was acting crazy, but hasnt since fuel pump change.
3. No Check Engine Light, but random ABS, Airbag, Parking Brake lights and they never stay on for long.
4. Been to Firestone and Chevy Dealership and neither can figure out the problem.

I really think this is an electrical problem, but I am not sure. I would love to be able to replace the computer and be done with it, but I dont want to do that if it isnt the reason for the problems.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Alex

Old 10-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You might also want to clean the throttlebody. The IAC (idle air control) valve could be sticking and not opening up to maintain idle speed...

When you say that it runs rough with the A/C on... Is that only when it's idling? Or when you are running down the road as well...

The random ABS, Airbag, and Parking Brake lights could be a loose ground to the PCM. I think I remember reading a TSB about that. I would check all of your grounds in the engine compartment and clean them up.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:33 PM

The rough running with A/C happens at anytime. There is actually a constant slight miss going down the road at any speed that happens every 10 - 15 seconds. Its hard to notice it if you arent looking for it.

Also, something odd happened a little while ago. I was driving down the road w/o the A/C and all of the sudden it bogged real bad and I cant tell if there was a grinding noise because I was listening to the radio to loud to hear it. But I let off the gas and got back on it and it jerked real hard like it was going back into gear and ran fine after that. I do have a slight slip between 3rd and 4th so I am not sure f this can all be attributed to the transmission. I hope not, but if it is, at least I would know what the problem is.

Thanks guys,
Alex

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer Shuts down at stop lights