General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another Heat/Air Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 07:14 PM
black19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Heat/Air Question

Must be summertime because everyone is asking about their AC, well here is another one. I read some of the other similar posts and my issue is a little different which is why I'm creating the new post. First off, my AC works just fine. Cold when I chage it to AC and Ice Cold when I switch it to Max AC the problem is that when I have everything off warm air seems to be coming from the vents, even if I have the temp switched all the way to cool(blue). This was not an issue before but since the weather is getting warm here in CA it's starting to bother me. Any suggestions? In addition, the temp gauge is in the middle, and sometimes when I accelerate hard on the freeway or when I initially turn the defrost on, an odd clear/white 'smoke' or 'mist' will filter through the vents. It smells kind of odd but not in a bad/toxic way. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Another Heat/Air Question

What you are describing sounds pretty normal to me. All those things happen in my truck as well, but as far as I know, they are normal things. The warm air coming though the vents I would say is because it is hot outside, so if it's hot, you would expect that air to make it into your truck. It's not airtight! The mist from the defrost is pretty normal to me as well. I can't think of how to desccribe WHY in mechanical terms...you know me...I'm just here for my good looks. Perhaps someone can clarify and elaborate on what I'm saying.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Beginning Member
ACWiz is an unknown quantity at this point

You are most likely getting a mist because of residual moisture in the evaporator case. I would suggest you get under the vehicle and look for the evaporator drain. It's a trubber 'thingy' that will be at the bottom of the evaporator case. It's what causes that drip behind the passenger side front wheel when the A/C is on. Use a coat hanger wire or similar to 'GENTLY' probe up the drain and clear it. It gets plugged with debris and dried leaves, etc. from the air inlet. All of that will most likely solve your evap mist and odor problems. You may also want to consider a proper evaporator treatment. Also see this information about foul odors from your A/C evaporator.

With respect to air distribution... depends on how picky you are. That could be a job getting into the evap case and checking air blend doors, etc.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 PM
black19 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: ACWiz

You are most likely getting a mist because of residual moisture in the evaporator case. I would suggest you get under the vehicle and look for the evaporator drain. It's a trubber 'thingy' that will be at the bottom of the evaporator case. It's what causes that drip behind the passenger side front wheel when the A/C is on. Use a coat hanger wire or similar to 'GENTLY' probe up the drain and clear it. It gets plugged with debris and dried leaves, etc. from the air inlet. All of that will most likely solve your evap mist and odor problems. You may also want to consider a proper evaporator treatment. Also see this information about foul odors from your A/C evaporator.

With respect to air distribution... depends on how picky you are. That could be a job getting into the evap case and checking air blend doors, etc.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the link, I appreciate it!