General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anti-freeze smell in the cabin?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:11 PM
black19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anti-freeze smell in the cabin?

I've noticed lately that when I drive with the windows closed that I can tell the car has a hint of anti freeze smell inside. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Anti-freeze smell in the cabin?

Might be the heater core.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely a leaky heater core. If you have the factory Dexcool coolant and air is allowed to enter the system and remain in the system, you will have problems.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:50 PM

Isnt it better to get rid of the red junk? especially now that the opprtunity is there with a HC change?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend a flush and fill with Prestone Extended Life 'All Makes, All Models' antifreeze. Compatible with everything and still the benefits of long life.

Dexcool, in and of itself, is not the problem. It is the fact that dexcool does not wet on the surfaces, coating them to protect. By not wetting, it is a more effective coolant. But also, by not wetting the surface, it allows trapped air to fester. Air which has no business in a cooling system.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 PM

Leaky heater core? What exactly does that entail?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

To keep it simple... The entire removal of your dash!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 PM

If mine goes out Im not gonna use one. They are a pain.

Would Water Wetter work with the dexcool? It worked great in my street/strip car with aluminam and cast components.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Great, sounds expensive

Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: black19

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Great, sounds expensive

Its not hard just time consuming to be honest, got a set of tools and mechanical abilities?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anti-freeze smell in the cabin?

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.