General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

antifreeze headaches 96

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 01:48 PM
MyHoopdie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default antifreeze headaches 96

Have a 96 Blazer, in April had intake manifold gasket replaced. Antifreeze is still leaking again. Shop said the system was pressure tested which I'm beginning to doubt. I can go a week without any leaks. Then after the truck is hot, will park and all the antifreeze leaks out. Have already tried barsleak, no go. Ok appreciate any help with this headache.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:39 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: antifreeze headaches 96

ORIGINAL: MyHoopdie

Have a 96 Blazer, in April had intake manifold gasket replaced. Antifreeze is still leaking again. Shop said the system was pressure tested which I'm beginning to doubt. I can go a week without any leaks. Then after the truck is hot, will park and all the antifreeze leaks out. Have already tried barsleak, no go. Ok appreciate any help with this headache.
Some of the common leaks are the intake gaskets, water pump, and the block heater.
Look down the front of the block, also in the front of the crankshaft pulley. If you see coolant in the pulley or down the front of the block, it;s probably the water pump.
The block heater is on the left side (lower) of the engine block. If it's leaking, you will see a stain or a build up of coolant around it.
Another possibility is the heater core. If you peel back the carpet on the front of the passenger side floor, you may see or feel coolant there.
Let us know what you find.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:02 PM
MyHoopdie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: antifreeze headaches 96

Well found the problem, was the water pump. After removing the front black guard and letting the engine heat up,
the water pump leak was obvious. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. Thanks much for your advice!