General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Antifreeze leaking into the inside of my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Dwarf415 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Antifreeze leaking into the inside of my truck

Recently I have had a couple of things done to my car, leading up to the subject. First I was coming home from work when I notice al my gauges drop. I new it was my belt and I was about 10 miles from my regular shop so I tried to make it. And I did. I burned away all the anti- freeze in the car but I got there. My ac compressor siezed causing the belt to brake.the replaced the belt the compressor and the pully. Then the brake boost went. Now while running the ac it smile like that (fishy) anti-freeze smell. When I switch the tempture in the cab from cold to hot smoke comes out of the vents and a liquid which seems like anti-freeze leaks into the cab from under the dash. My brother (who has basic knowledge of cars) said maybe head gasket. My Friend said maybe heater coil. I don't know who to believe. Anyone know what it might be and the cost to fix.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Antifreeze leaking into the inside of my truck

Well, I guess I don't have to say it, but I will... You should NEVER drive without the accessory drive belt. You may very well have caused some major problems with your truck by not having the waterpump circulating water, but anyway...

To the problem at hand. Sounds like a leaking heater core for the climate control.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:37 AM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the heater core. Without knowing what year your veh. is, I would say the core is about $80.00 +coolant, clamps ect. probably around $150.00 total.

If your not doing it yourself, I really dont know what the flat rate would be for that, but your probably looking around $300.00.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Dwarf415 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok if I keep the heat off can I drive it for awhile until I get it fixed? For the record it's a 97 lt

Old 06-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

no... the heater core kind of looks like a mini-radiator. it'll still leak even if you have the heat off.... it circulates the antifreeze through it... and then back towards the motor and radiator through two lines.

you need to fix that hun.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:23 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that there have been a lot of questions on the '97s so I just happened to price it for that year. So the prices are fairly accurate.

Even though you may not notice a strong coolant smell with the heater off you will still have the leak, one think to add. Pull up the carpet and insulation and let it dry out and wipe the metal clean. The carpet and insulation tend to hold water very nicely and cause your floor pans to rot.