General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default auto headlights

hi. i got a 2000 blazer with the auto headlights and i hate them. does anyone know how to shut them off for good? ive unplugged the sensor but that makes them turn on all the time. its just a pain havin to push the dome overide 3 times everytime i go out.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: auto headlights

Welcome to our forum!

Some vehicles have a DRL fuse in the underhood fuse block and I have heard that putting a 1k ohm resistor between the pins of the connector to the ambient light sensor will disable both the DRLs and the auto-headlights (ALC?). I also found THIS... Don't know if it's applicable to our trucks, but should be similar. There is also a wealth of information on the web about this process, although I couldn't find anything dedicated to our trucks.

I like my DRLs & ACLs, otherwise, I'd know more about how to disable them.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Starting Member

thanks buddy. im def gonna try it

Old 09-16-2006, 10:27 PM
sledneck16 is an unknown quantity at this point

actually kyle this is how its done: (I like the stalker look at night )

go into the under hood fuse box and pull the DRL relay----you'll see little numbers next to each metal tab. carefully bend tab 86 so it folds around the corner and hugs the side of the relay. plug the relay back in and voila!! no more crappy daylight running lights

now on to those automatic night time lights:

take the two (really long) phillips head screws out of the passenger side dash speaker grill (the one that has the little black ball thing--this is the light sensor)
undo the plu from the sensor and run over to radio shack. what you need is a "one watt, 2.2k ohm resister"

bend the corners over like this (yea i know its a cell pic but you'll get the idea)

bent resistor

now look at the plug that went into the sensor---put either end into each hole in the plug. now start your truck and make sure it works!!!

ps--I also put some electrical tape over it to hold it in even better.

GOOD LUCK!![8D]

Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I saw the DRL relay in my truck and read about bending over pin 86, but those directions were for a sunfire or something... Only thing I really wish I could disable woudl be the stupid flash-to-pass feature (where it turns off the DRLs whenever the turnsignals are active)...

Old 09-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Starting Member

thanks for the help . ill try it tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Starting Member

hey i just did what you said. i did the resistor and bent the pin and it works. cool. now i dont have to remember to shut em off everytime. i like the stalker look too. i just put in my projectors with the halos and the stalker look looks pretty hot now. thanks for all the help!!

Old 09-17-2006, 05:19 PM
sledneck16 is an unknown quantity at this point

stalker+halos=sexy stalker!!!

lol --glad it worked--I have the ultimate stalker halos--the ones that are black--are you stealth like me or do you have the silver/chrome ones? [8D]

Old 09-18-2006, 10:18 AM
LORCLAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that you got rid of the auto headlamps, get some cool billet speaker grills.

http://www.kaikproducts.com

Old 09-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Starting Member

i almost got the black ones at first. but i didnt want the halo around the projector. the black ones i saw had the halo around the projector, and you could get the weird black marker lenses to match it, but.. i had changed my front grill to all chrome and got the chrome bumper without the strip holes, and had to change the valence for that. but anyways, i just got the chrome ones, with the halo around the hi-beam. those black ones were kinda sick tho