General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:12 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: brakes

You will have to take the front brakes off and possibly the front bearings and expose the reluctor ring then clean with non abrasives to remove rust...scotchbrite might work .

Also I checked with my GM Service CD and it mentioned safety issue with the ABS knowing if the vehicle is in 2WD or 4WD and the dealer has VIN code look up to see if your vehicle is among that recall and if the work was done...some newer parts were added to the ABS system for the recall so there maybe some cost involved???

Old 09-14-2006, 05:25 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the blazer an hour from where I live...can i go to a shop to have them look up the VIN code? and just to have them do that...would it cost money?

Old 09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Call the local Dealer's service Dept. up on the phone they might tell you all you need to know over the phone.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: magnum434

hey about the ABS...someone said a dirty sensor....tell me how to clean it....because mine is on constantly and im 99% sure its not pads, rotors, etc. I think it's the ABS actuator which would be freakin expensive...so yea...I'm up for saving $500 if it is just a dirty sensor...How i clean it?
Pretty sure the reluctor ring is inside the hub assemble on all S10's. Best way to clean it, pull the sensor out, clean it off, stuff an air hose part way into the opening and give it a good shot. Watch your eyes. If you packed it with mud, you will have to do more work to clean it out. Could also be just the sensor. But the only way to tell is to have the codes pulled.

Its even easier if the reluctor ring is outside the hub assemble.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 93s15jimmy

... it does have abs, and that light is on too. could that have something to do with it? thanks in advanced.
Very last line of the first post.
just messing with ya. dont go taking offense to it.
I had a brian fart last night as well in a different thread.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 AM
93s15jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

none taken hanr3. hopefully monday i will have off of work and i'll be able to get it on the road and be able to adjust the rear brakes on it more.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

All cars after about 1970 have a dual mode front/rear master cyclinder. The plunger has 2 rubber seals, if one seal for either the front or rear brakes is gone the other one will still keep the pedal from going all the way to the floor and is a safety backup. Your problem sounds like one of your seals is seeping fluid through as you push the pedal. A quick stop at a junk yard and $10 will get you a used master cylinder. Try it and see if your problem is solved. If so, go get a new or rebuilt master cylinder as I would not recommend leaving a used master cylinder on your truck. However I guess right now we all have used master cylinders on ours.

Just a thought for a quick, inexpensive way to see if that is your problem. Pulling your front wheel bearings to get at your ABS sensors is an all day job, even if you have the correct tools to do it in your driveway.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:27 AM
93s15jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

update...i found out it was the right front wheel sensor for the abs. im not too worried about the abs right now. i have a month or 2 before the snow comes and i will get it fixed eventually. but today i cleaned out the truck and got all the antifreeze cleaned from the carpet and under it and i noticed when i moved it to my garage from the front of my house, the brake light wasn't on. when i drive it tomarrow to get it inspected and on the road legally i will definately know for sure what the heck is going on with the light. i believe for a nys inspection the brake light can't be on, cause it will fail inspection. but the abs light can be on. nys is stupid that way.