General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C gauges

Would like to know if it is a fact that AC gauges that were used for R12 can not be used for a system that uses R134...
Can the gaues still be used if the reason they can't be used is due to contamination, but the lines are changed out?
thanks...

Old 11-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: A/C gauges

We still use my dad's old R12 gauge set on all of our trucks/tractors that have been converted over to R134a. I've even used them to check the pressures on my own vehicles.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Starting Member

With the understanding taht the fiting are of different style and size, is there any parts outlet that sell a conversion fitting lit or the like? I have two different manifolds but only one with hoses and they are the old R12 style/size twist on, not quick release...
thanks for any leads...

Old 11-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I completely forgot about our adapters... I do believe that we purchased our adapters from Advanced Auto... I would think that about all autoparts stores would carry them... But maybe not anymore...

Our set is like the second one down:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/cps/hoseconv.html

Old 11-19-2006, 01:21 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

yep that set will get ya hooked right up, and I wouldn't worry about contamination, refrigerant actually boils at about 22 deg. below zero F...so as soon as you unhook them it will basically evaporate out of the gauges and hoses.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Starting Member

Well I appreciate the time and effort to post this, but for almost ninety bucks, NAPA has a new complete setup, manifold, hoses, the whole enchalada... I was thinking for about 20 or 40 bucks, a setup that would adapt the old manifoldover to use when needed. Since I don't do fleet maintenance any longer, no need to spend that much for just a conversion setup....
Thanks again...

Old 11-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Administrator

I know that my dad didn't spend more than $25 on the kit he has, but I do not know where he got it from. I'd rather get a new setup too though... Just giving you other options.