General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Benado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A couple of questions

I have two questions for my 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada:
1) I tried to change my drive belt but I can't seem to find the tensioner. On every pulley there's a bolt and they all act like bolts. When I turn one it just goes loose or tight. None of them seem to be under spring-loaded tension. Can I get some help please? I did a search and tried to follow the steps, but no luck. Pictures would be good too!

2) I bought an A/C charge kit because I suspected that my A/C needed to be charged. I put it on and an interesting thing happened. The clutch would engage, and the pressure gage showed the pressure rising. When the pressure got to the maximum safe level the clutch disengaged and the pressure dropped down to the minimum safe level, at which point the clutch re-engaged and drove the pressure back up. This cycle happened every 6-8 seconds. Any ideas? I don't dare add more R-134 because it seems to be at the proper level, but I'm not sure?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Default RE: A couple of questions

Anybody?

Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 PM

I was able to get the drive belt changed. I want to thank Chevy Lover for taking the time to help me.

I'm still stuck on #2. Any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2006, 11:55 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

#2. I start with questions. Why did you feel that you needed a recharge? Was the a/c not working at all?
It sounds like it's working now, and yes it is normal for the clutch to cycle.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, complete lack of patience at its best.

Anyway, if the A/C is not working, but the clutch is cycling, I would suspect a clogged orifice. Bad news for you, this isn't a DIY project. Very little to do with repair of the A/C system is DIY unless you have a vacuum pump and appropriate tools/equipment to do the job. The refridgerant needs to be recovered before you break the system open. Then, you really should replace the filter/dryer anytime the system is open.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 AM

I read on this board that if the A/C cycles on and off and on and off that it is in need of a recharge, so I decided to buy one of those kits-I figured at a minimum I could use the little pressure gage to check the pressure. The A/C blows really cold, it works fine. But as it engages and disengages it bucks a little sort of like the fuel filter is plugged. For now, I just unplugged the A/C.

Sorry for the lack of patience.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

It does sound like the orfice. The one on my K-5 started getting clogged and did the same thing. The part is only $4 or $5 but like Swartlkk said, you need the proper equiptment to recover your 134 and to vaccuum the moisture out of the system whe the filter is replaced.