General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CPI Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
kfuchs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CPI Question

I have been having some issues with my 94 Jimmy W engine not running real good. Sometimes when you pull a hill at 70 the truck is totaly gutless and has to drop to 2nd gear just to ~ maintain speed, other times it pulls ok but still not like it should. Lately its there has been a couple times when I go to start it that it doesnt start right up but after a couple of cranks it fires.
Last night I shut if off at the baby sitters and about 3 minutes later tried to start it back up and nothing. I originaly thought it was flooded but there was no gas smell. I check the firing and its fine. I dont have a fuel pressure tester but I know its at least got some by pushing the valve at the back of the plenum and it squirts pretty good. I also just did put a new fuel filter on it.
I am suspicious that the CPI went out but I dont know if they will go completely out like that or not.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kenny

Old 10-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: CPI Question

I recently had my CPI go out on my 94 Sonoma. (Essentially same vehicle as you). Some of the symptoms were a strong smell of gas from the tailpipe, horrible gas mileage, the EGR got all carboned up and quit working properly, loss of power (especially starting out). If you have any of that going on, you might be right about your CPI going bad.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:55 PM

When my Fuel Pressure regulator went out 6 months ago I could smell a very stong gas smell. But this time I cant smell gas at all. I am also looking at a borg-warner CPI unit and was wondering if they where any good.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:13 AM

I went back to where the truck is broke down last night after buying a fuel pressure test kit and I think I figured out the problem.
They told me at a local shop that the truck should have ~65 lbs and that anything below 60lbs was a possible no start. Well I have 16 lbs. So it looks like a fuel pump to me.
Anybody have any good pointers on changing the fuel pump on one of these.
Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, 16psi is bad for FI engines... LOL

Hopefully you don't have a full tank of gas... Cause the tank has to be dropped to get to the pump.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:33 AM

I have ~ 1/4 tank. Im hoping that I can siphon the remaining gas once I pull the filler neck loose. Yeah I like to lost it when it read 16 lbs, I turned the key on several times and that was the max I ever got it to read. I did do a test squirting starting fluid in the throttle body and sure enough it started for a second or 2.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually you can bang the bottom center of fuel tank ( with key in on position ) and get enough fuel pump pressure to get to your house or garage, but is only a temporary fix.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:47 AM

I tried smacking the bottom of the tank but it has a heavy steel skid plate on it. So if I have to remove it I might as well just do it in their driveway.
Thanks for the replys.