General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

gas guage

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Blazenfast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gas guage

hey guys, i know its a common problem on blazers for the gas guage to stop working right. well mine just started fluxuating really bad here lately and was wondering if anyone knows how to fix the problem. i was told some kind of a sensor in the fuel tank but wasn't sure.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - quoted from other post by Blazenfast on this subject:
i have a 2000 blazer that the gas guage just started fluxuating real bad and was wondering what the problem is. all i know is that this is a common problem on these.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: tgas guage

The fuel level sending unit is in the gas tank attached the the fuel pump body. First, try some GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco(R), use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012) that you add to the tank. GM has long since stated that fuels with high sulfur content can contaminate the fuel level sending unit contacts.

I recently had to replace the sender in my Bonneville and will be using a bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment every oil change from now on.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 PM

thanks i will give that a try. i did not know about the fuel thing though. where will i be able to get the cleaner? at a parts store or will i have to get it from a dealership?

Old 09-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Dealership... Or if you have a local AC Delco retailer, you can purchase it there as well. Shouldn't be more than $5-10 a bottle. Pretty much the same as Chevron or STP, but the GM stuff has a filmer agent in it to aid in protecting the sending unit.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:07 AM

how long will this stuff take to clean the sensor?

Old 09-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

It's not 100% guaranteed to clean it. I'm using it now as preventative maintenance to ward off problems such as this. It didn't help one bit in my Bonneville, but it was definitely worth a try.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:41 PM

what kinda trouble is there to replacing this? and can i just get the sender instead of having to buy the whole pump, sender,etc.