General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Did I mess up the sea foam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:44 PM
strongboy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did I mess up the sea foam?

Ok, I put one can in my gas tank and half a can in my crankcase.

That was all fine, then I went to put it in the throttle body. My dad was sitting in the car revving it slightly to keep it from dying while I poured. I finished the rest off and we turned off the car and let it sit for 15 minutes. I then drove it hard, but not as much smoke came out as I thought...

I was reading some reviews on the seafoam and some people are saying you're supposed to stall the engine when you pour it in... Was I supposed to stall the engine and then let it sit, or did I do it correctly? Does it need to be redone?

Old 02-16-2006, 11:50 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Did I mess up the sea foam?

well your sig says you have a 2003 so its pretty new. Very doubtful that it has a whole lot of carbon buildup. This is why you didnt see much smoke. I've heard people say to make sure never to stall the engine when doing seafoam because its creates a hydrolock that can damage the engine. Other people say to stall it out. I think you did it right there was just minimal carbon buildup in your engine.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Redblaze. Stalling it out is not important as it could cause hydrolock. Mine stalled and everything is fine. My Blazer had 80,000 miles on it. It smoked like crazy, was fun to watch. With yours being a 2003 you probably did not have nearly the carbon build up mine did. It is probably good to use SeaFoam every other oil change or at least once a year. Visit their website:SeaFoam.

If you want do it again at your next oil change. I don't think you really will need to do it again that quickly.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On every vehicle I have run seafoam through, I have poured 2/3-3/4 of a bottle down in while keeping the engine running. The last 1/3-1/4 of the bottle, I just poured it in and let the engine die. I did not pour it in faster by any means, just didn't keep the engine running like I did before. The possibility of hydrolock is not really even a factor when you look at how little the volume of fluid you are putting in. Now if all of that fluid were to make it to one cylinder in a hurry, then yeah, I would agree with you, but the chances of that are... well, I just don't think it would happen. The point of pouring it in and letting it stall is so that when you let it sit for 15-30 minutes, that extra seafoam is in there soakiing into the carbon that is still there. If you do not do this, then the wait time is not as beneficial and neither is the run at the end.

I do agree that on a 2003, there *shouldn't* be that much carbon, but in other posts, he has definitely been fighting a KR problem and the most likely cause is carbon buildup in the cylinders. Also in another post, he stated quicker times after the seafoam treatment. This also says that he had carbon buildup causing detonation which in-turn caused the PCM to retard the timing (knock retard) and him to loose performance.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
91_4_Door is an unknown quantity at this point

i ran sea foam thru my 200k mile 4.3 it smoked liked crazy. and stunk. But know i get easier starts, and i dont get the "typical chevy smoke" when i start it. I am very pleased.