General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

disaembling egr...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default disaembling egr...

I have the egr off and planned on cleaning it. The small plunger on the bottom that has the torx head goes in and out fine I think. If I turn it like I want to disassemble it, it just keeps turning. I have not taken one like this apart before and don't want to make an easy job a headache by not knowing what I am doing. Would someone send me some quick details and/or instructions on how to get this apart and also the proper cleaning procedure that most everyone on the forum uses. What NOT to do especailly. I would greatly appreciate it.
It is a 2k LT with the 4.3 which I would expect is the norm here.

I am not getting the mileage that I expected to get from this. ONly about 15 mpg hwy/street combined. Any thoughts on how to improve that also. Even if I drive easy and keep my foot out of it, coast when I can or use the cruise when I am on the hwy, no chnage. I have put in the K&N, changed the PCV, although it didn't look bad at all. Still need to change the cap, rotor, plugs and wires.
Thanks again.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Starting Member
Default RE: disaembling egr...

I guess nobody ever has or knows how to disassemble one of these egrs. I had hoped that I would get someone to respond to this even if to tell me I can't or shouldn't take this thing apart, Maybe it's not even worth the hassle. It does't look bad at all cept for being real black from the exhaust. No build up to speak of though and it sounds like that is what everyone looks for. So I will check my email still for a day or two and see if someone comes through.
Thanks in advance to anyone who may still do so.

Everyone have a good "rest of" the weekend...

Old 02-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Impatient much!!?? Geez, wait atleast 6 hours before critisizing those of us on the site.

Why are you trying to dismantle the EGR valve? Cleaning it does not require pulling it entirely apart. Some carbon cleaner up around the pintle area (the torx bolt) and some soaking and it'll clean up nice.

Oh and so far this winter, I've been averaging 16mpg. Best with my Bravada was 18mpg.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Starting Member

swartlkk>> didn't mean to give that impresssion, (impatience) or criticism. Just had seen that 7 users had looked at it but didn't respond to the post. I was trying to get any info while it (the egr) was still off the engine. As far as the disassembly, I thought if it could be taken apart, a good cleaning would not hurt it without the solinoid on it. Any apologizes to anyone if I offended them personally. I guess I just expected to get a bit better mileage out of the 4.3 than I am. Still beats the hell out of my 72 3/4t @ 9-10. I am sure I will be back for more suggestions and help. Sure don't want to start off with a bad impression.
Peace.