General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Door Hinge Problem anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:33 AM
Benson8880 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Door Hinge Problem anyone???

Chevy trucks are known for having heavy doors. This goes for all models. This is an easy fix that we all will have to do eventually. There are two pins that hold the dorrs to the frame. The top pin has a washer like fitting that is the first to go. If you wait to long it will eventually start to wallow out the hinge itself, so dont wait to do this. The best way to do this is with a buddy. One to change the pin and washer, the other to hold the door. There is a spring in there too that can be a bit tough to get in but it's a no brainer really. Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have replaced the pins on my driver's door. Getting close to needing replacement on the passenger door. One thing that was a major pain in the neck was putting the spring back in correctly. Took forever. With the proper tool, it's a breeze. You may just want to invest in a light truck door hinge spring tool (available from Eastwood.com: Light Truck Door Hinge Spring Tool - $16.99 +s&h). I will be buying one of these before my passenger door gets pulled apart!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

heh...anyone want to do my driver's door?? I have degenerative bone disease in my neck which gives me NO strength in my arms and slight numbness in my hands. This isn't a job I could do. [&o]

Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd make the trek up to the Finger Lakes, I'd gladly install new hinge pins for ya.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:10 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get the hinge pins and bushings online for pretty cheap. Search on eBay for a store called Florida Auto Fastener, they have just about everything. Hinge pins and bushings for both front doors shipped for $17. Quality products too.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
DaveLance is an unknown quantity at this point

Vspeers1, glad to have helped.

Swartlkk, I strongly agree to get the proper tool for the job. $16.99 is a good price for that. I paid around $22 from NAPA, but it's better than replacing a window or worse.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I wasn't able to find it locally. Have a Napa PN for that? The shipping would put it over $20 for it. I'd rather pick it up locally than have it shipped to me for more.

And I know for a fact that I will have that tool before my passenger side goes! We had to use a vice and baling wire to get our spring compressed to a state which we could force it in. Sucked big time and took forever. I won't go through that again.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 PM
DaveLance is an unknown quantity at this point

Part number is 770-3818.

Here is a pic of the tool as well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1850/EB29C20FC7874A0FA9822E690899A1DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator

I'll have to just call that number in to the local Napa to see if they have it. Online doesn't show it as a valid PN.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

thanks swartlkk... thats a bit of a drive for me though! Guess I'm gonna have to break down and bring it to a body shop.