General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Dan
Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EGR Valve

I need a little help here. I was going from Middle GA to the top of TN last night and about 440 miles into the trip (20mi from my exit) my Service engine light came on. The truck was running fine at about 85mph but once I hit a red light off the highway it stalled and took a few cranks to get it to start back up. It runs very rough at idle but if I give it a little gas it seems to do fine. It is saying Code 32 which basically says "Vacuum switch shortened to ground on start-up or switch not closed after ECM has commanded the EGR for a period of time. Replace valve. * If you disconnect the EGR and run the Ultimate on T1-15 it may set this code." can anyone translate that to "Hit It With A Big Hammer" lol. If not can you give me some How To's without spending any money. I am on a VERY VERY tight budget. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: EGR Valve

Based on the code, I'm assuming this is on your '93.

I'm not sure of the design of the EGR valve on the TBI or early CPI motors. I also have not heard of them clogging like the SCFI EGR valves do. But you could try to clean the valve itself, removing any carbon buildup that may be present and holding the valve open or restricting the motion of the valve pintle.

At most, you're looking at a new gasket for the EGR valve and some carbon cleaner.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Dan

Alright. Well is there any way that you could scan me a picture of it and tell me where it is. I would greatly appreciate it since I left my manual at home. Thanks

Old 09-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Dan

Another thing will it hurt it to continue to drive it because the only thing effected is the idle?

Old 09-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

All of my references are at home right now so I can not access them. Lets see if someone else can get you a picture.

About driving it... Well, it won't be as efficient, but the pcm should compensate for it and keep the motor from running lean. Shouldn't be too bad to drive it. You may end up with carbon fouling of the plugs, but plugs are cheap.