General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fan Clutch Shouldn't Work This Hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:40 AM
beeneeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fan Clutch Shouldn't Work This Hard

Hey everyone! I just wanted to get some people's opinion on a fan clutch. I recently had it replaced by a buddy of mine due to cooling issues. The blazer was overheating too much and too often. Anywho, he replaced the fan clutch and it is insanely loud all of the time. Not only that, but it kills my acceleration. I recently replaced a fan clutch in a different vehicle & I haven't had this many problems. Could it be a bad fan clutch?

Vehicle details:

2001 Chevy Blazer - V6 - 4WD

Work recently done:

Coolant flush
Spark plugs
Distributor cap & rotor
Fan clutch

Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 AM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fan Clutch Shouldn't Work This Hard

Maybe the clutch has seized. If it's loud at all speeds and RPM's then that is a tell tale sign. Has your fuel economy dropped? Try to spin the fan by hand, with the engine cold(and off please!). A fan with a seized clutch will spin if you force it with alot of effort, or not at all.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your friend could have also put in a heavy duty fan clutch. My dad runs one on his farm truck during the summer to keep it cool while he's towing around his gooseneck with the backhoe on it.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
beeneeb is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a heavy duty fan clutch on my S10 & it doesn't act like this one. I just don't understand why the Blazer would be moving so much air. When I pop the hood & put my hand above where the fan is, I can feel a TON of air being moved. It wasn't like that before the new fan clutch was installed. I wonder if Auto Zone will give me my money back.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:21 AM
tycobb280 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the clutch has seized. If it's loud at all speeds and RPM's then that is a tell tale sign. Has your fuel economy dropped? Try to spin the fan by hand, with the engine cold(and off please!). A fan with a seized clutch will spin if you force it with alot of effort, or not at all.

I agree. the clutch is probably siezed. had it happed on one of my other vehicles