General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A few newbie questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
firechicken 383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few newbie questions.

Hello everyone, I just got a 95 S10 blazer 4wd. 148,000 miles. I traded my old full size gas guzzler, hated to but his thing has got to get better milage, not to mention I really like it.

So what can I expect as for milage, a buddy told me his old one got 20 on the highway. Im assuming 18-21 for 90% highway driving.

Also, this is the MPI 4.3 vortec, are they stronger than a regular TBI 4.3?

I got plans in the making for fabing up a cold ait kit. I got a K & N cone filter, and was gonna have a buddy bend me up some 3.5inch exhuast tubing, I should have about $20 in this kit, has anyone here done that yet?
And I was thinking maybe a little exhaust work, high flow cat or removing it altogether.

The only thing i dont like is the wheels, Im gonna look for some newer style factory wheels maybe someday.

And I dont think the trans fluid/filter has been replaced in a while. I've heard its better to keep the old fluid cause changing it on something with that many miles is asking for trouble? I dunno about that one. I guess its a 4l60e. Any idea what kind of rear end gears were looking at.

Any advice for me or anything to look out for.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: A few newbie questions.

Your '95 has the CPI (central port injection) system where it uses 1 centrally located, batch fired injector to feed fuel to all cylinders.
from S-Series.org - 4.3L VIN Codes, RPO Codes and hp/torque numbers

VIN Z, RPO LB4:
Throttle Body Injection (TBI). Manufactured from 1988-1995. Was the first 4.3 used in the S-series. Manifold setup is similar to a carberated engine. The TBI unit looks like an electronically regulated carberator and the air filter sits directly on top of it. It has two injectors in a pod above the throttle plates. Injectors are batch-fired.
155 to 165 hp, 235ft/lb

VIN W, RPO L35:
Central Port Injection (CPI/CMPI). Manufactured from 1992-1995. It has central injection assembly mounted in the intake manifold which uses a single batch-fired injector feeding 6 poppet nozzels located at the intake ports. It has a dual-plenum manifold (upper and lower) with variable tuning with a manifold tuning valve to equalize pressure. The manifold looks much like that of an LT1, the throttle body is at the front of the manifold and goes to an intake tube with a filter box behind the left headlight. Vortec is written in orange on top of the plenum, which is black or aluminum colored.
190 to 195hp, 260ft/lbs
On the cold air kit. Plan on making up a box that will draw air from outside the engine bay. A k&n filter and hot air is worse than a k&n drop-in and the factory airbox which draws cold air from behind the headlights. Good luck with the fab and please take pics when completed.

Also, IIRC your trans is a 4L60E, but your year of that trans is unique. It still has the 3/4 bellhousing where the mid-'96 model year started using a full circle bellhousing and a longer housing at that.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:26 PM
firechicken 383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: A few newbie questions.

Opps, I just figured out it was a CPI, not MPI. Oh well. Man, I see this one is more powerful than the other 4.3. Man, Id hate that one, this one is slow enough. Gosh I love this truck, wish I had got one sooner. It needs some tires for sure, but I can take care of that.

Thanks for the help.