General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

findin' the kickdown cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:59 PM
chevy8jr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default findin' the kickdown cable

My tranny seems to shift wrong. It seems the rpm's go up too high when goin' out of first gear. It is a A/T. But i was told to check the kickdown cable to see if it needs to be adjusted. My dad could'nt remember were it is. He thinks some people call it something else. Can someone help me find this cable. Thanks

Old 04-06-2006, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: findin' the kickdown cable

It is called something else. It is called a TV cable, as in trottle valve cable. It does more then just downshift the tranny like the old kickdown cable did in the earlier TH350 trannies the 700R4/4L60 tranny replaced.

The cable is located on teh passengers side of the engine, it is connected to the trottle linkage and runs down to the passengers side of the tranny. Now if your truck is '93 and newer, you wont have a TV cable, your tranny is electronically controlled.

I would make sure your tranny has the proper amount of tranny fluid in it. Drive it for 20 minutes, stop on a level surface, leave the engine running and check the fluid. Add as needed.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:20 PM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point

while you're checking the transmission fluid level, make sure the fluid is the right color and doesn't smell bad.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:30 PM

The tranny fluid at level, dark in color, it smells the same as the new stuff i got.
I have like almost no accelertion when i go from a dead stop. Can the tv cable
be adjusted at all?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:39 PM

dark as in red, or dark as in brownish?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:53 PM

dark in brown. I just take it for a ride & i can push the gas pedal to the floor
& no more power to go faster. Im will take it in tomorrow & see what they say.
thanks guys.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:05 PM

if the fluid is brown it needs to be changed.

when it seems like there's no power, does the engine rev very high or does it just kind of bog?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:15 PM

The rpm's don't rev that high around 2500 rpm's with the pedal to the floor.
It speeds up slowly. I think it maybe the fuel filter, theres no boggin' or stalling at all.
So i know it's getting fuel. my coil could be bad too. There so much things that it could be wrong with it.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 PM

the catalytic converter might be clogged. does it rattle if you bang on it? if you partially plug the tailpipe does the engine operation change drastically?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:48 PM

I just got back from doing what you ask me. The cataltic converter is solid, no rattles. I even bang on the muffler too, its solid too. There was no change in the engine when partialy plugged, i held it they for 30 seconds.

Quick Reply: findin' the kickdown cable