General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 PM
tjbmmb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Leaking

I had my fuel pump replace in my 1998 chevy blazer. Ever since then now when i go to put gas in my car the pump doesnt auto shut off when full and if i dont stop it at the right time it leaks out from under my car every were. Is there somthing not hooked up there?

Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel Leaking

Either they didn't hook up a vent line, failed to tighten down the retaining ring, or didn't install the gasket... All of which would throw and EVAP code of some sort due to the inability to pressurize the tank...

Old 10-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Beginning Member
gmaltese is an unknown quantity at this point

had the same thing to my car, new pump, now i smell gas, and my ck engine light comes on after about 15 mins of driving, i'm going to ck these thing you said..... thanks glen

Old 10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is relatively off topic...but have you replaced your fuel filter recently...because there are recalls on some Fram fuel filters. I dont have the link with me but when I get home I can send you the link. Or google Fram fuel filter recalls or something...basically...some seal doesnt seal properly and can cause it to leak.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There ya go: Fram Fuel Filter Recall - NHTSA

Old 10-19-2006, 05:27 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

here ya go...
Fram Fuel Filter Recall
ah...lol i just saw you already got a link

Old 10-20-2006, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

tjbmmb, just curious, but how much did the pump cost you with install?

Old 10-21-2006, 08:14 PM

Yeal i did the fuel filter with the pump, and its not a fram tho. i spent around 500 totoal for fuel filter and pump pluse labor. I work at sears auto so i got all the parts at cost the fuel filter was $15 the pump was somewere around $220. I did the work at sears too. Ill try to get them to take a look at it, if not i will have to drop it my self and check it

Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

tjbmmb, since you work at Sears it shouldn't be a problem for you to get your Blazer in there for them to give it a once over. Is your Check Engine Light on? As already stated, something must not be hooked up correctly. Get em to do it right this time, and don't let them charge you. That's their bad.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:28 PM

Im sitting on a sears computer right now at work,(dont get off till 9 but its dead) I was finaly able to get them to check it by talking to my manger. At first they tested it they noticed that the top of the fuel pump was wet and that while the blazer was running you could hear the fuel pump bangin around inside the tank so we knew the gasket wasnt sealed. We droped the tank and found the seal was broken. We went ahead and order a new pump from Advance Auto Parts becuase it had a one year warrenty. Advance sent the pump, first thing we notcie was that the pump they sent us was about a 1'2 inch shorter and slighty wider. I called Advance back and told them they sent the wrong one. They check the computer and side they sent the right one for my vehical and the same one they sent before. They ask me to read the part number off of the one we just took of the tank which was E3952M. They told me right away that it wasnt the right pump and that the one they just sent which was part number E3953M was the right one. I check my old purchase order from the oringal purchase and it had E3953M as the pump they sold me. It turned out that Advance sold me the right pump but sent the wrong one to us and we put it in without knowing. We just started my truck up, everything is running good, no leading or even the smell of gas now. and to top it off my check engine light went out right after I started it. (its been on for 5 months now)