General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Finicky Gas Guage

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finicky Gas Guage

hello. I got in my truck two nights ago, and the guage said 1/4, so i thought i was ok, then i was driving down a road, and it said E. So i got some food, then started going back, and it slowly creeped back up to a quarter. I've noticed this before, but i just thought i was on a incline, and this time i was on flat ground, so i know it wasn't that. I think it may have just been hung up on some sludge or something, but i want to know. thanks for the help.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Finicky Gas Guage

your not alone with your claim, these fuel gauges are extremely finicky when you get less than 1/2 tank. I think someone mentioned that the gauge is actually capable of only 14 gallons. all I know is that I complained about it with my chevy dealer and they replaced it under warranty. after the new parts it was a little better but every time I get to a quarter at start up and then proceed to drive a little it'll flirt with e and come back up for a while. so now I run around with a small gas can in the back for a little more insurance.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:44 AM
ruggb is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 2000 blazer that after 80,000 miles the gas gauge started to jump around if the fuel level got below 1/2 tank. We drove it for another 15,000 before I decided to have it checked out. Dealership said it was a sensor/relay or something on the fuel pump in the tank. They wanted $700 bones to replace. I decided to do it myself. I bought the fuel pump for $220. I did it myself in about 6 hours with a Chilton manual. The problem went away. However, now it is hard starting if it sets for more than a day. Even though the battery does not go dead and it turns over fine, I put a battery charger on it and it starts instantly. Don't know what is wrong now, but the gas gauge works great. I also replaced a buddy's fuel pump in 3 hours with his help. It helps to have 2 people. Now his fuel pump won't seal at the top and leaks if he fills it full. We dropped it a second time and replaced the rubber O ring, but did no good. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Every sending unit is slightly different. My last one would trip the low fuel light when I had 3 gallons of gas left in the tank.
This new one trips it with 2 gallons.

My wifes car trips it with 1 gallon.

As for the other issues raised in this thread. I think I saw a seperate thread on them and will post up in there.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, it only happened at a quarter, and i hardly ever run it down that low, so i'm not gonna worry about it. thanks.