General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gauge Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:06 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Gauge Help

Alright I got a Digital Volt meter and im reading the install instructions and all and it says I ned to wire a "Dimmer Wire" And it says: Hookup To A Switched Light Source.

Would this be like the uh. Light Dimmer thing we have on our headlight control peice and all? Coul i wire into there somehow to dim the brightness of the gauge? Or is that a biiigggggg no no

btw Its a Cyberdyne if that makes a difference

Old 10-16-2006, 01:12 PM
offroaddude77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Gauge Help

im thinkin it goes somewhere behined the scroll dimmer. check with a multimeter

Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time, this is a wire for the backlighting of the gauge. With the gauge being digital, it will dim the backlighting for low light situations. The same source should apply. I know in the past, I have hooked these up to the ILLUM wire on the stereo connector mainly because it is relatively easy to get to.

*EDIT* - I do not think that you want this to be a variable source as supplied by the dimmer switch. That is unless the manufacturer states that your gauge can support multiple brightness settings. IIRC, most gauges require +12v for the ILLUM sense.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 PM
BF Veteran

I dont have one lol

I always use my friends when i do a stereo install. im to cheap to go get one [8D]

EDIT:

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Most of the time, this is a wire for the backlighting of the gauge. With the gauge being digital, it will dim the backlighting for low light situations. The same source should apply. I know in the past, I have hooked these up to the ILLUM wire on the stereo connector mainly because it is relatively easy to get to.
I should be fine running to that wire even if my stereo's remote wire is connected to that also correct?

Sorry im having a bad brain day. yesterday was just ugh lol

Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why would your stereo's remote wire be connected to the ILLUM wire? That doesn't make sense. The ILLUM wire is to tell the stereo when to light up the face... It is supplied with +12v whenever the parking lights are on.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 PM
BF Veteran

Cause my wiring harness didnt have the blue remote wire

It's safe to do lol. Trust me kyle i mean come on [8D]

Old 10-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Administrator

So you have to have your parking lights on to have your amp turn on??? That is just messed up...

Your stereo didn't have a remote turn on lead??? It wouldn't be part of the vehicle wiring harness... But you should know that...

Anyway, here's the link from Cyberdyne's webpage:Voltmeter Installation

So yeah, any source that is supplied with +12v when the lights are on.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran

Nope the HU is on constantly...........

............I turn the key the stereo comes on. I turn the car it stays on till i open the door........

And i can turn the amp on and off from the HU.

Trust me this is fine............... more than half the stereo ppl i know use this method... its good lol

Thanks for the link kyle

Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Then technically this isn't the ILLUM wire that you are using... Unless it has just been that long since I have installed a stereo... But I think what you are classifying as the ILLUM wire really is the RAP wire (retained accessory power). Correctly termed, the purple/white wire is the 'LED dimming signal' wire. If you really were using this wire as a remote turn on lead to your amp, then your amp wouldn't turn on until the park lights were on...

Old 10-16-2006, 01:44 PM
BF Veteran

Nope Its connected there and the amps constantly on (unless i go into the HU options and shut it down)

And the Illumination line is Orange on my wiring..... I pulled the HU out yesterday and checked all my wires while i was fixing my XM adapter

Quick Reply: Gauge Help