General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

heater core

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:33 PM
blazinrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default heater core

I have a 2001 s10 blazer and need to replace the heater core is there a manual or online manual that will show me how to do this it looks like a big job. thanks rick

Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Beginning Member
moggy59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: heater core

I just did a 96 Blazer and it is a fairly big job. I used a Haynes and did a lot of research
online before the swap. It is more tedious and procedural than hard work.
I would plan for the vehicle to be out of commission at least one day, maybe two
as it is kinda hot outside right now if you work outside. I took the dash completely
out of the vehicle, however some say you don't have to. I am not sure about your
year model though. I guess they are the same as the Haynes states 1994-2001.
It helps if you have someone to work the opposite side of the vehicle and to help
remove the dash assembly. Wellworth saving 500-600 bucks in labor to me.
Attached is a pic of the vehicle with the dash removed and the new core in place.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3078/EB0125CF271E424CA3BCD8692C712425.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum.
Here's some reading for you. Sorry no pictures right now and it's late, pictures take more time.
I have all the tools to do the job, and have done several. It takes me about 5 hours to do this.
I'm telling you this to let you know that it's a big job.
I also recommend that if you're doing this for the first time, take lots of digital pictures for reference.
If you do want to do this, just keep posting and there are lots of us to help you through the job.

Sorry for such a long post...lol.

Heater Core Replacement
Removal Procedure
Remove the heater/vent module. Refer to Heater/Vent Module Replacement .

Remove the heater core access cover screws.
Remove the heater core access cover.

Remove the heater core from the heater/vent module.
Installation Procedure

Install the heater core to the heater/vent module.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the heater core access cover.

Tighten
Tighten the heater core access cover screws to 1.9 N·m (17 lb in).

Install the heater/vent module. Refer to Heater/Vent Module Replacement .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heater/Vent Module Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the instrument panel. Refer to Instrument Panel (I/P) Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Engine Cooling.
On vehicles with automatic climate control only, cut the outer layer of the A/C evaporator and blower module in order to access the service access cover.

On vehicles with automatic climate control only, remove the service access cover mounting screws (1).
On vehicles with automatic climate control only, remove the service access cover (2).
On vehicles without automatic climate control, remove the blower motor resistor. Refer to Blower Motor Resistor Assembly Replacement .
Important: Mark and use the same mounting bolt for the heater/vent module during the installation process. Other mounting bolts are longer and will obstruct the operation of the temperature door.

Remove the heat/vent module mounting bolt through the blower motor resistor or service access cover opening.

On vehicles with A/C only, remove the right wheel house panel. Refer to Wheelhouse Panel Replacement in Body Front End.
On vehicles with A/C only, raise and support vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
On vehicles with A/C only, remove the front right tire. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
On the Utility only, remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws.
On the Utility only, slide the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield toward the front of the vehicle.
Remove the 2 lower heat/vent module mounting nuts.
On the Utility only, remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield bracket.
Remove the bottom right heat/vent module mounting bolt from inside the vehicle.
Important: The heat/vent mounting stud has a flange on the inside and cannot be removed from under the hood. Stop turning the stud after the threads are off the heat/vent module.

On the Utility only, while an assistant inside the vehicle pulls the bottom right corner of the heat/vent module approximately 2.5

Old 08-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Beginning Member
moggy59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post Chevy Lover. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find any
procedures as well described. I do remember about the newer model having
to remove the entire heater core box from the firewall?

Thanks for the info, should make it easier on another fortunate owner.

P.S. - I have some pics of the 96 and there are some reference to pics
on this forum somehwere for a 96. I can take a sequence next
time as I have some defrost door problems and have to take the
dash out again.....[:@] Might be a good how to article.