General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 PM
live4camaros is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help fuse keeps blowing

my 89 s10 blazer won't start i replaced the fuel pump and filter but everytime i go to turn the engine over the fuse blows any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: help fuse keeps blowing

which fuse exactly is blowing, mileage, any more info on truck would be helpful

Old 07-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

If the fuse keeps blowing, then check the wiring. It is shorting out somewhere. Is it the proper fuse? might want to check that. HTH

Old 07-10-2006, 11:27 PM

it's the ignition fuse i guess it blew about a week ago and i replaced it the blazer started fine today i was driving and the truck died i checked the same fuse as before and it was blown every time i put a new fuse in it as soon as i go to turn the engine over it blows immediatly

Old 07-10-2006, 11:28 PM

where would i start to look for the problem

Old 07-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Find the wire from fuse box to coil or relay and check for cuts or breaks, or bad connections. Not sure what color it will be or how the wiring works on your truck.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:35 PM

thanks i'm just about to pull my hair out i think i'll go over it tomorrow can't see to well now. my dad was sure it was the fuel pump so i spent all afternoon replacing that.

THANKS to everyone for the help i'll let you know if i find the problem

Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

It could be your ignition switch. Check the wiring coming off the starter. The single small wire on teh starter comes from teh ignition switch. Disconnect it and see if you blow the fuse. If so then the problem lies in the switch or that wire. If not then the problem might lie in your starter.

Now had you said you were blowing the fuel pump fuse I would have told you to check the oil pressure wiring. The oil pressure is part of the fuel pump circuit.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:44 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

A trick to help find a short.

Use a regular headlight bulb. Remove the fuse, run one prong of hte headlight to one side of the fuse, and the other prong of the headlight to the other side of the fuse. Now when you turn the key, the head light will come on to indicate the short, wiggle the wires around until the headlight goes off. When the light goes off, you found the wires you need to insapect further. A short can be as small as a crack in the wire that makes contact with the frame. Saw that little trick on 4x4 trucks this past weekend.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:15 PM

thanks for the help guys I'm going on a hunt this afternoon haven't been able to even look at it but thanks again i'll let you know what i find

thanks again,

Ta'Lina

Quick Reply: help fuse keeps blowing