General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
blazergirl79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Me!!!

I have a 97 Chevy Blazer. It was losing coolant and running hot. We found a leak in the water pump, and replaced it and the lower hose. We had to jump her off to start up, and when we did, she was running rough and emitting a white smoke from the tail pipe. I let her idle for 30-45 min., then took off. The white smoke cleared out, and she was running smooth, but started in hot again after a few miles. I stopped, opened the radiator cap (yes, I know that is a dumb move now), and she cooled right off. I started off again, and within a few, she was running hot again and rattling. I stopped at my cuz's and shut her off. After a few minutes of gurgling, I tried to start her up again, which just didn't happen. I have talked to a mechanic at work, who said it sounds like a blown head gasket, but that it is hard to say without looking at her. I have also heard it could be a stuck thermostat, or air pockets. Help me, because I am hoping with all my little heart that this is a repair I can affford.[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 11-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Help Me!!!

check for coolant in your oil, tstat,

Old 11-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member
mellon101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the oil for water
check the water for oil

The white smoke is a bad sign. If you have the ability...you could remove the spark plugs and have a look. If one of them is nice and clean and does not look black like the others....the head gasket is gone, letting water into that combustion chamber.

Like I said in another thread a few minutes ago....
try removing the thermostat and then filling it back up with water.
See if you can get it to start and watch inside the radiator to make sure the water is flowing (it should flow immediately with no thermostat in place).
Keep filling it up if the level drops.
If it seems to be flowing well....once the level seems stable, put the cap on and let it run to see if it overheats.

white smoke is bad.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that it is a blown intake manifold or a blown head gasket. Typically, a blown intake manifold will leak either externally or into the lifter valley on it's way to the oil pan (coolant and oil do not get along well). A blown head gasket can be checked with a cylinder compression check. You may also be able to narrow it down by looking at your plugs.