General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Faith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Please!!

HI im hoping someone can help me, My husband is trying to fix my mom's 4 wheel drive 1998 Chevy Blazer , It is stuck in 4 wheel Lo and we can't get it too 2 Hi, Is there anyone out there that can help us? we've tried everything the manual said, some friends told us to go in reverse and keep hitting 2 Hi, we are almost possitive the switch is broken on the panel, we have also checked the fuse.

thankyou

Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Help Please!!

yea, my guess switch is bad. are you blowing fuses??? if so, just put a jumper wire in place of the fuse to get it into 2 wheel and then get a new switch. 35 bucks at a dealership

Old 07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

could also be the encoder motor, cause i got stuck in 2wd cause of that. no matter WHAT i did. that will need professional looking at.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Faith is an unknown quantity at this point

as you probably can see my husband is not good with auto repair, so what is a jumper wire?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

just take a piece of insulated wire about 2 inches long, and strip about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off each end, and put in place of fuse. then try to switch into 2 lo. if it works, your switch is probably bad.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:54 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

IF the drivetrain is bound up it will never shift out of 4wdr.

To get rid of the bind, drive the truck on loose soil, like the grass. Do a couple of circles and drive straight for about 100feet or so. Stop the truck, put the tranny into neutral and then push the button to 2hi. You may have to go into nuetral on the button, and then into 2hi.

If that doesn't work, it might be time to find a dealer or your trusted repair center.

Typically what happens to get it stuck in 4lo, or 4hi for that matter is someone stuck it in 4hi/4lo and drove on the pavement. Big no no. The drivetrain binds up. It binds up becuase every tire turns at a different speed while turning. This is no big deal on lose terrain becuase the tires that are binding up will slip to relieve the bind. But on the concrete or asphalt, there is no slippage and it binds up. Eventually the bind will get so bad if the tires don't squell, you can break something. like a cv shaft. There are some early warning signs. Like the drivetrain will get louder, and louder, and louder. You might here the tires squell in a corner when you normally didn't hear it before. It might take more gas to go then noraml. All clues something isn't right.

Post up.