General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hood latch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Blazenfast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hood latch problem

hey guys, i went to pop my hood just a few minutes ago and realized that my cable is broke or something cause it doesn't work anymore and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get it to open. thanks

Old 10-15-2006, 04:55 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: hood latch problem

Are you sure that the cable is broken. My 2K Blazer has a problem with the cable and it is not broken but acts like it. Sometimes the hood will not pop up when it unlatches and the cable pull in the cab will not return to its normal position. When this happens all I need to do is pull it a couple of more times or go out to the latch area of the hood and push down and it pops up. I have noticed that there is a mangled spring like mess at the end of the cable by the latch and I suspect that this is the problem so until the cable actually does break I live with it.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:53 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine broke on me. The end in the cab broke off. I stripped thw cable away from the cable, and now use pliers to pop the hood. But like posted above, sometimes it just needs a little umph.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever this happens to me, I'll pull the latch inside and sometimes, just shutting the door is enough to let it pop. Other times, I just give it a quick hit to the front of the hood and it pops right open. My dad had this for quite some time in his '94 2500 Sierra. It got to a point where someone would have to hold the lever while someone else hit the hood. Often this is simply because the latch gets gummed up. We ended up helping the Sierra with a liberal regiment of WD40 whenever we opened the hood. Now it's not a two man ordeal to open, but sometimes still sticks a bit requiring a knock on the front of the hood.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member
billthegoat is an unknown quantity at this point

ditto the last post. Just push down on the hool latch area a couple times while someone's pulling the handle and when it finally does pop up, spray the mechanism with WD40. If that doesn't work, maybe your cable is broke.