General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hood won't open

Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Beginning Member
bat119 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hood won't open

I have 4 door 99 Blazer when I pulled the hood release the small chunk of lead or whatever came off the end of the cable, I used a pair of vise grips on the cable and it still would not open, a friend pushed on the hood and still nothing, we took it for ride over washboard roads and large bumps while pulling on the cable and still it won't open. any suggestions?

Rick

Shouting and verbal abuse didn't help!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Beginning Member
greengoose89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Hood won't open

This happened to mine as well. I had to have the dealer replace the cable. Fortunatly I had just bought it and they did it for free. I wouldn't want to try it myself. I was told that there is a problem with the latch under the hood seizing leading to the breaking of the metal peice on the cable. I just give mine a shot of WD-40 every time I change the oil. This seems to keep everything freed up. I know that dosen't help once it breaks but it should keep it from happening again. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Suggestions, yea.
Take off the two bolts holding the hood lever in the cab in place. Get out your pocket knife and cut a slit up the side of the cable, don't worry oyu won't cut the cable. Grap a pair of pliers and give the cable a good yank. Your friend might have to psuh down on the hood if it is stuck, push and let go, it will pop up.

My son broke my cable trying to open the hood one day. Been over 3 months now and I still haven't replaced the cable. Maybe one of these days it will make it up the priority list.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member
bat119 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay blazer fans this is how it is done take a 1/4 inch drive with a 13mm socket and a small swivel, the two bolts holding the latch on will come off and free the hood, the problem was the end of the cable by the latch came out of it's groove and you could pull on the cable all day and it would never open!