General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood wont open, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 04:03 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hood wont open, please help.

I cannot get the hood on the '93 to open. I can hear the cable move around under the hood latch. But the latch don't move, no resistence at the handle in the cab.

How do I get the hood open?
Thanks!!!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Hood wont open, please help.

with my 92 I had this happen a few times. WHat I always ended up doing was take the grille off. If you remoce the 8 or so torx screws, you can pivot the grille outof the clip, and then you have total access to the release. This worked for me, but there might be an easier way to do it.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

'93 is one of the years that I don't have a manual for.Have you tried reaching under the dash and pulling on the outer cable?
Maybe remove the handle and see how far in the inner cable has broken, if it's close to the handle, peel back the outer case and use pliers on the inner cable.
I don't know if you have enough room between the fan blade and the radiator to use a mirror and some kind of stiff wire hook, or someone with a long skinny arm.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:10 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: hillbillyinOhio

with my 92 I had this happen a few times. WHat I always ended up doing was take the grille off. If you remoce the 8 or so torx screws, you can pivot the grille outof the clip, and then you have total access to the release. This worked for me, but there might be an easier way to do it.

Gotta have the hood open in order to not break the grille right? or did you not have the 4 top screws in?

I havnt had to do this on my S-10 yet only my 'camino and it didnt have a grille.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I also ended up pulling the grille out like hillbillyinohio recommended. I had to buy a 6" long torx bit screwdriver to get the top 4 screws out. It would be best to take the grille off with the hood open, however it you pry carefully, you can get the grille out from behind the hood with the hood closed.

Turns out the cable slid out of the bracket that holds it in place.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:10 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

I also ended up pulling the grille out like hillbillyinohio recommended. I had to buy a 6" long torx bit screwdriver to get the top 4 screws out. It would be best to take the grille off with the hood open, however it you pry carefully, you can get the grille out from behind the hood with the hood closed.

Turns out the cable slid out of the bracket that holds it in place.

Thanks for the help.

Make sure you get it back on the latch good, itll fall out again....I learned the hardway but I also now have a latch under the vehicle incase one breaks.