General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How do I get at front center upper plenum bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get at front center upper plenum bolt

I see the hole for it on the new gasket behind the EGR port hole, but I can't locate how to remove it!?????? help

Old 09-02-2006, 02:32 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How do I get at front center upper plenum bolt

According to my GM Service Information DVD what you may be refering to is one of the TBI bolts at the front of the upper plenum...

Old 09-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

Yes, it looks like there should be a bolt about where the MAF sensor is. I have removed all 9 others. Upper plenum wont budge so I think there must be one more to remove. It has CPI with the big plenum type 2 piece casing. I'm sure if I crack this thing, I'm done. My older Blazer had TBI and it was always so much easier to work on. It's on the back nine or better yet the 18th tee with 316,545 miles and my mechanic thought I should spend $800 ($550 parts/$250 labor) for a new spider injector unit. Mechanics are funny like that. I'm going with the fuel pressure regulator for $42.00 at Auto Zone. ( A Blazer owners home away from home )

Old 09-02-2006, 02:29 PM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello sorry to jump in the middle of this conversation but I am planning on having a friend change my spider tomorrow. I was wondering what your blazer was doing to make your mechanic suggest the spider. Also what made you decide to try the fuel pressure regulator? My blazer failed inspection (state of PA) b.c of a SES light. The code is a random cylender misfire. The spider was suggested to be changed b.c it isnt a part that is linked to the computer in the blazer so inturn that would be why noone can get a sensor code off the blazer. Id like to know what your blazer's issue was for you to go for the fuel pressure regulator.
Thanks
mandi

Old 09-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Well that's what this forum s for to help each other with similar problems. As far as my 95 Blazer goes, it starts on the first turn and idles great. When I take off it is like I'm starving for gas. My mechanic checked the fuel pump pressure an is good, replaced the fuel filter and that didn't fix it so he determined that it must be the spider injector. He did not tell me that the fuel pressure regulator is available separately now. (perhaps he did not know) I could not see spending $800 on a truck that has 316K on the odometer. Allbeit that the body and interior are mint, it still is not worth spending more than half of the value of the truck to fix. If this fuel pressure regulator which is attached to the spider injector and is by most GM mechanics the leading cause of a spider injector assembly going bad does not fix the problem, I wont be out $800 with the problem NOT fixed. By the way, my mechanic would not guaratee that this was the exact problem.
Are your problems similar?

*EDIT by swartlkk* - comments removed.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

By the way, random cylinder misfire? PLEASE tell me that your distributor cap and rotor have been checked. Caps and rotors have been notorious on all my Blazers ( on my 3rd ) because of where they are located in the hottest part of engine compartment.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:47 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the misinformation but I did not get the correct model year of your truck so all i could find was information on the newer style manifolds....if you have removed all the hoses and external parts with bolt on locations then it might just need a gentle lift with a pry bar. Sometimes depending on the type of gasket material and the length of time it was last seperated it may take a little effort to get the upper plenum off, but do make sure that ALL bolts are off the upper plenum. It could be possible that a bolt holding on a hose or wire clip is also a manifold bolt, so just take them all off.....

Old 09-02-2006, 08:13 PM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

YES cap and rotor have been changed. Today we decided to just take the spider off and clean it all up and see if this helps. I also am scared of dropping all that money into the truck on a guess. I have been reading all afternoon on here about the original spider on the 96-03 are nitorious for clogging up. Infact GM has now come out with a second style the only thing drasticly different are the nozzles. I have had this SES light on for 2 years now and noone can give me a solid answer just "well if you pay me $1000 ill start with the o2 sensors" my issue with that is if it were them the computer would tell you exactly o2 sensor #1 or #2. They have also said the plugs and wires, another problem with that is if it was a bad plug the computer would say cylender #3 misfire not RANDOM. So back to what you posted what does the fuel pressure regulator do? Has your SES light ever come on?

Old 09-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Banned

Yes mandi, my SES light came on once in a while and the truck would run like crap and stall but then goes out and run fine. Recently it was running bad all the time and no SES light. I personally think it is a bad sensor somewhere but for $42.00 for the fuel pressure regulator and a $15.00 plenum gasket and a couple hours of my time, I will know weather it is the injector assembly or not. If it isn't, I'm out $57.00 and 2 hours of my life, BUT I will have learned a little bit more. I wont be out $800 and have a mechanic explain to me that I would have needed that spider injector assembly eventually anyway and still have a truck running like sh*t. Can't explain these things to the "pros" though, it doesn't make any sense to them. Auto Zone sells them for $42.00 and they attach to the spider injector assembly with 2 screws.

check these links for more reference. Plus there is a company that sells rebuilt spider injectors to the pros only and the guy in charge of the rebuilding says that the leaking regulator is the culprit in 90% of the replaced units.

http://www.treasureboards.com/blazer/cpi/CPI.html

https://blazerforum.com/m_7118/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#7118

Autozone FPR

*EDIT by swartlkk* - removed long link. Please use the hidden url tag in the future for links of this nature

Old 09-03-2006, 04:16 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ever get the top half of the intake manifold off?

Quick Reply: How do I get at front center upper plenum bolt