General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key won't release

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Key won't release

I recently had a number of problems with my daughter's '97 Blazer - key often wouldn't release, battery seemed to be draining overnight, then finally it wouldn't shift into low. I pulled trouble codes and got the typical ones referred to in other threads as indicating a bad ignition switch. So I replaced the ignition switch and the battery, which didn't appear to be holding a charge.

Now the transmission shifts nicely, we seem to have no problem with the battery draining, but the darn ignition lock keeps hanging up and won't go into the release position so I can get the key out. it turns off OK, but about three times in five won't go into full off/key release position. After about five minutes of trying, she manages to get it to release, but that's no darn good.

One possibly related note - this car has the automatic trans and floor mounted shifter. It's evident that the shifter cable is a bit out of adjustment, since we can't get the shifter handle to go into gear 1; when it gets nearly in there, the trans shifts to low, but the gear indicator on the console shows second. It goes into second when third is indicated. Neutral and reverse seem to be accurate.

Since the ignition switch has been replaced, do you folks think the cable adjustment is confusing the key release, or that there is another electrical problem?

Old 04-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Nomad76lj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Key won't release

my buddy just had the same thing with his car and it was just that the shifter was ot of wack. it was like trying to turn the car off when its in gear. so ya i would say it needs to be ajusted a bit.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:20 PM
oosickness is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine did that at the bank today and it wouldnt start and i couldnt get the key out so i had to have it towed. i thought it drained the battery so i got a jump but that didnt do anything. so a tow was my only option . im not sure what to do if u guys learn anything give me a hollar

Old 06-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a couple of possibilities - replacing the ignition switch (the electrical part, not the lock) solved a number of problems, but not the key hangup.

A shop worked on it and checked the shifter cable, but they don't feel it's the cable - there's also a small solenoid mounted in the steering column, and that solenoid has to release for the key to come out. They tell me it's a frequent failure item, and that it's the best candidate to fix the problem. Hope this helps others - I haven't had time to work on it yet.