General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:51 PM
saramkg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Noise

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer with about 108,000 miles. I have had pretty good luck with my Blazer until this year. The most recent issue started a couple of weeks ago. My truck starts fine but after I start driving and begin to accelerate it starts making a noise. If I take my foot off the gas, the noise continues. As I deccelerate, the noise actually gets louder and then will stop when I come to a stop. To me, the noise seems louder on the inside than the outside. As far as the kind of noise - it is hard to describe. It is NOT a rattle, a click, a whine or screech. To me it sounds the way a motorcycle sounds when it takes off. (I'm not talking about a Harley - more like a Kawasaki or something). Any ideas??

Old 09-30-2006, 01:48 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New Noise

If you can tell at what speed the noise starts it can help in determining what is wrong. This can be a few things from wheel bearings to front drive axles and transfer case with 4x4 versions... Also what side of the truck does it sound like driver side, pass side. These things can help narrow done the possible problems...

Might even be transmission problems. From torque converter to internal parts of the transmission...

Old 09-30-2006, 10:33 AM

When it first started - it was around 30-35 mph, but now it seems like it starts almost immediately - like around 10-20 mph. My truck is a 2WD. Do you think I should take it to a transmission shop first and let them see? I think most if them will diagnose for free.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:53 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

could be anything, possibly just a dash rattle or something similar. I currently have two bad rattles, ones my dash, and the other is my f!@k!d cat.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Well I figured out it was the wheel bearing on my passenger side. Thanks for all of your help. They said I would have to replace the whole hub assembly though. Does that sound right?

Old 09-30-2006, 10:58 PM
winterride is an unknown quantity at this point

yea, that sounds right. i believe that the bearing is pressed into the hub so to replace it you have to replace the entire hub.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:35 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: saramkg

Well I figured out it was the wheel bearing on my passenger side. Thanks for all of your help. They said I would have to replace the whole hub assembly though. Does that sound right?
Yeah I have one waiting to put in when my bearing gets severely worse. Right now it is just annoying. I am used to being able to remove bearings and repack them with new grease...now these new trucks/cars have sealed parts and cost 100's more to fix...

If you or someone you know have the skills to replace the bearing you can save some money...but you should have a factory manual or Chilton's/Haynes to have the methods and torque specs to put it back on.