General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Odometer Displays the word ERROR

Old 09-29-2006, 06:22 PM
yashoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Odometer Displays the word ERROR

[&:]Far from paradise by the dashboard lights. Tachometer needle bounces, Word error displays in LED's where the odometer shows mile count. Transmission gear position indicator lights blink (P, R, D1,D2 etc.. Dashboard is basically haunted. I believe it is some kind of COMPUTER CONTROL HEAD tmay be the culprit. I called chevy parts but they couldn't determine what I was looking for. Anyone out there Know about this type of problem?

Old 09-30-2006, 02:10 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Odometer Displays the word ERROR

You need to have the OBDII codes read to determine the problem...if you have an Autozone nearby they will do it for free..

Old 09-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I agree. I did some digging and I couldn't come up with anything about the cluster reading 'error'... Problem is, there isn't an autozone in the world that has a scanner that can read the BCM(body control module) or instrument cluster systems.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

"Far from paradise by the dashboard lights"
Ok, eject that old Meat Loaf cd and your problem is resolved.
Well, maybe not.
Welcome to the forum. I couldn't find anything about your problem. I would check that all the connectors are connected to the cluster, solid, not loose. Other than that, I don't have a clue. I'd hate to think that you you have a faulty cluster, but it wouldn't be the first.
Keep us posted.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:38 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: yashoo

[&:]Far from paradise by the dashboard lights. Tachometer needle bounces, Word error displays in LED's where the odometer shows mile count. Transmission gear position indicator lights blink (P, R, D1,D2 etc.. Dashboard is basically haunted. I believe it is some kind of COMPUTER CONTROL HEAD tmay be the culprit. I called chevy parts but they couldn't determine what I was looking for. Anyone out there Know about this type of problem?
According to my information the Instrument Panel Cluster has a microprossesor of its own that communicates with some sensors and other computer modules. You may need a new(er) Instrument Cluster. There are involved procedures to diagnose this but only an ASE Certified Shop or the Dealer has the equipment needed to diagnose the problem. If any of the components in this "network" fail to communicate or loose the ability to communicate with each other it could affect the Instrument Cluster.

My educated guess would be that the microprocessor in the dash has failed. Check all the fuses related to the dash itself and sensors ie ign, instrument panel etc.