General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Occasional hard start

Old 10-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member
greengoose89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Occasional hard start

Ok, you guys have saved me a ton of time and money with past issues so i'm hoping someone can assist again. My 98 Jimmy (4.3L 4x4 4dr AT) seems to be having an issue. I've had it for 2 years and it has always fired right away when i turn the key. Lately i have to crank on it for 5 or 6 seconds for it to start occasionally. It does not seem to be related to temperature. Sometimes it starts right away when cold, sometimes (about 1 out of 3 attempts) I have to crank on it. Same goes for when the engine is warm. It runs great once it starts, never dies, no low idle, no issues at all once it starts. The starter is turning when I have to crank on it (the starter is less than 8 months old). It has yet to completely fail to start. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I have to take it on a 3 hour road trip this weekend and would rather not be stranded at a gas station in the middle of nowhere! thanks to all in advance!!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Occasional hard start

Hmm dirty fuel injectors? Maybe try a can of the cleaner? I'd start with the little stuff first and see if that helps... Does it need a tune up perhaps? How is your timing? Just some thoughts...

Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry - should have stated that. I just dropped in a can of fuel system cleaner last time i filled up (currently at about 1/2 a tank left. Doesn't seem to be making any difference.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Let me just suggest that you do a tune up consisting of plugs/wires/cap/rotor at the very least. Most likely your plugs are starting to get gummed up.

Also, sometimes it takes several uses of fuel injector cleaner to remove buildup in the injectors. Especially with the poppet nozzle design of our fuel injection in the '96+ 4.3L.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Beginning Member

Would it be best to add the injector cleaner with every fill for a while or every 3K? Do you have a suggestion as to brand preference on injector cleaner (I used Gumout brand last fill).

Old 10-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have always used Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, but recently have been using the GM fuel system cleaner as it has an additive to clean the fuel sender as well as clean and maintain the rest of the fuel system. I run a bottle at each oil change as a routine maintenance.