General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

removed cat

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:26 PM
jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default removed cat

Hello
I have a '95 Blazer 4.3l vortec 4WD.
All of the inside of the cat has been removed, there are O2 sensors on both sides of the cat.
How does this influence on the engine?
Can I remove a O2 sensor?
I have a high gas consumption.

Jimmy

Old 06-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: removed cat

You probably have high gas consumption because your removed one of the largest sources of backpressure in the exhaust system. Now if you haven't done anything else to help you up top (ie high end hp), then you have hurt yourself more than anything. By decreasing back pressure, you have removed much of the low end grunt that the engine was designed to have. Not to mention that running with your cat cored out is illegal on the federal level (that is if you are in the states).

Now about your O2 sensors. Your upstream (pre-cat) sensor is the only one that has an effect on the fuel system. The downstream (post-cat) sensor is for emissions monitoring, but inorder to just remove it, you must have the associated codes removed from the ECM (engine control module).

What was your reasoning for removing the catalyst inside of your cat? For fun or was it not working correctly?

Old 06-19-2006, 01:06 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I hope you kept the platinum. People are robbing one another in Buffalo w/ sawzaws @ night fo the friggin cats!!!!

Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 PM
jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks for Your answer.
This winter my car started to run poorly, and when I was trying to find the reason I noticed a noise from the catalyst. I removed it and found that all of the inside was loose. I removed the inside and asembled it back. Then the car started to go alot better but I got a vibration when the motor had to work hard and I dont have the same power and it used more gas (it uses alot in the first place).

I dont know what a new original cat will cost here in Norway, but I can buy an unoriginal quite cheap. They say that it is for gasoline engines up to 6.0l,
and it is a "hi-flow" type.
Any advice?

Thank You

Asle

Old 06-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The aftermarket cat should do fine. If you still get an insufficient catalyst performance code, you may need to purchase an O2 sensor simulator, but I do not know where they are available anymore...