Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Replacing cat, front of old cat is stuck on truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member
Squad-6 is on a distinguished road
Question Replacing cat, front of old cat is stuck on truck

My old cat is blocked up so picked up a higher flow one to replace it with. Got the rear of the old cat free from tailpipe & muffler. Got the front of the cat free from the crossmember brace & took off the U bolt. Banged on cat with rubber mallet & even tried a come along until I was afraid of breaking the exhaust manifolds. No room to cut it off & have enough straight pipe to put a new cat on. I also do not own a torch of any kind. So anyone got any thing I should tried to get the old cat pulled off?

BTW the vehicle is a 85 S10 Blazer 4x4 with a 2.8

Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to exhaust pipes that are held together with an exhaust clamp (u-bolt & saddle), they can be a major pain to get apart. I would recommend finding someone with a small grinder and cut grooves in the cat's inlet pipe just deep enough to go through the cat and not into the y-pipe.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Beginning Member
Squad-6 is on a distinguished road

I will borrow a grinder from work. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A thin cutoff blade will make the job easier and faster!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

when i got my cat replaced i cut it off with a plasma cuter LOl . worked out great

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
A thin cutoff blade will make the job easier and faster!
Yup, backyard mechanic style - cut horizontal slices along it but not through the Y Pipe & get at the "slices" with a ball peen hammer & a cold chisel & PEEL it off the Y Pipe.
OR take a reciprocating saw, cut it off at the end of the cats tubing, get whatever you'll need for length of 2-1/2" from a muffler shop (I think thats the diameter) exhaust pipe, 2 extra bar & saddle clamps, have that muffler shop enlarge the pipe at the ends so the ID - interior diameter will fit over the OD - Outside diameter of the existing exhaust pipe. Clamp it all together. They'd probably enlarge the ends for nothing & the 4" or ? you may need might cost you $5.
If you have other transportation cut it out at the ends of the cat & head to a muffler shop.

Last edited by Rottidog; 05-17-2011 at 10:35 PM.